CASIO fx-8200 AU - new calculator coming next year. (1 Viewer)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
There does seem to be an error in the calculator that my friend and I observed in both of ours when doing average titre calculations:
- Average titre calculations involve adding 3 numbers then dividing the result, leading to a fraction on the calc which needs to be converted to decimal
- When using SHIFT-exe (≈) the conversion of the fraction to decimal was wildly wrong
- However, when using the FORMAT button, the conversion was right.

Is there something else at play here?
What was the calculation?

wowza9995atar

HSC
Ok never mind after thinking about it, it's not an 'error' but it isn't exactly intuitive

We put something like 29.70 + 29.60 + 29.65 in, pressed execute, then divided by 3 to get the average titre in FRACTION form. Then, mistakenly, we pressed the ≈ button (which executed the division by 3 again - getting the wrong answer).

The FORMAT button doesn't execute the division again. This means the two buttons don't have the same function as each other.

You could just do the addition and division in the same step to avoid this, but it's annoying that it works this way

carrotsss

HSC
Ok never mind after thinking about it, it's not an 'error' but it isn't exactly intuitive

We put something like 29.70 + 29.60 + 29.65 in, pressed execute, then divided by 3 to get the average titre in FRACTION form. Then, mistakenly, we pressed the ≈ button (which executed the division by 3 again - getting the wrong answer).

The FORMAT button doesn't execute the division again. This means the two buttons don't have the same function as each other.

You could just do the addition and division in the same step to avoid this, but it's annoying that it works this way
You can do them in seperate steps you just have to shift click equals the first time instead of clicking it normally

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
So my understanding is you want to do

yeah?

So with FORMAT button you can see

calc1.png
Then press FORMAT button, choose Decimal and press EXE and it changes to

calc2.png

With the other method after typing in this:

calc0.png
Now press SHIFT EXE and you get
calc2.png
So yeah, no error there.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
There is a new resource for the fx-8200 AU

Kissane, Barry (2023) Scientific calculators and irrational numbers. Australian Mathematics Education Journal, 5(1), 4-9.

attached
There were some limitations for fx-8200 AU in exact values in the Kissane article like
2e+7e.png
log_4(7).png

However I discovered the ClassPad app can do it:

Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 6.43.31 pm.png

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Method 1 with a real calculator

If you already have the real calculator you can press the [HOME] [SETTINGS] buttons on the calculator to get the Calculator ID. This entitles you to get a free license which lasts 7 years.
There is a new rumour that the 7 years will be reduced to 4. But if you check the expiration of the licence it is still currently 7. I don't know if or when the change will occur. It might be wrong. But I heard it from a Casio employee so it might be true.

LookingGood2

HSC
There is a new rumour that the 7 years will be reduced to 4. But if you check the expiration of the licence it is still currently 7. I don't know if or when the change will occur. It might be wrong. But I heard it from a Casio employee so it might be true.
That's interesting, but can't figure why the Casio employee would say that, with why the reduction would help Casio's reputation.

I can't remember, but believe the FX-82AU Plus 2nd Edition and the FX-100AU Plus 2nd Edition might only have been out about 3 or 4 years.

Probably from next year the new lot of Year 7 students might be moving onto using the fx-8200 AU, instead of the current most schools favourite of FX-82AU Plus 2nd Edition.

It'd be Casio looking to shoot themselves in the foot, if say in 2026, a Year 7 students buys a FX-8200 AU, learns of the emulator and 4 years later, just as they start year 12 that the license has expired.

Maybe Casio are planning on an updated model to the FX-8200 AU to come out in 4 years time. Like a 2nd edition for that.

NSW is the only State/Territory that I know of in Australia which does not allow for Graphic Display Calculators for Year 11 and 12 maths at equivalent to Standard or Advanced and higher. I haven't recently checked when the current HSC Syllabuses are accredited to, but it's more likely than not that NESA will go the route of all the other States and Territories. Then of course having a reduced 4 year license on the FX-8200 AU won't matter for Year 7 students buying a FX-8200 AU.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)