case study: the crusades (1 Viewer)

tink 18

Hi guys,
is there anyone out there who is doing the Crusades for the case study? I'm having trouble finding someone to compare notes with or just discuss the crusades with, other than people in my class.:(

tink 18

what areas of debate are you mainly focusing on? thats if you havent gone through and focused on all of them. We are doing the crusades as political and religious activities and the origins and motivations of the crusades.

Yami

Our class has done all the different areas of debate, but my teacher has told us to do whatever suits us the best. I plan on doing motivations + aims & actions.

tink 18

our class has only done two of the areas, because our teacher has noticed that three of the five areas over lap dramatically (the origins of the crusades, origens and motivations of the crusaders and aims and actions of the crusaders) so we have only really done the origins and motivations of the crusaders + the crusades as religious and political activities.
what are the main historians you plan on using? i'm planing on using Riley-smith, Hamilton, Runciman and Gibbon as my main sources on both areas and then a couple of others for the areas as individuals

Yami

Me, I am using Riley Smith, Runciman, Nicetas Choniates, Amin Malouf and the Annonymous writer of the Gesta Francorum. You plan on using Gibbon, tink 18? That's quite suprising, I've never actually seen Gibbon being used on the second half (case study) of the essay. I'm only using Gibbon in the first half (historiography).

tink 18

Edward Gibbon wrote during as you probably know during the age of enlightenment and he had wrote some work in The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire on the Crusades. Basically he has the belief that the crusader's motives were mainly materialistic but also believes that they did have a minor religious motive compared to the materialistic gains

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)