Case study interviews - management consulting (1 Viewer)

ND

HSC
They have sample questions on the sites of the big MC firms (i'm sure you already know this). Vault.com also has a guide to the case study which i'd definately buy if i was interested in MC.

ND

HSC
Didn't even know about it - MC is not something that i want to do (i think that it would be quite interesting but the pay is less than IB).

turtleface

HSC
So you have your contract ND? Are you allowed to give a rough figure? (If you can, I don't want to put you in a compromising postion though) lol

ND

HSC
velox said:
So you're basing your choice of workplace on pay? (sincere question)

Pay does come into it, but it's not a major factor.

So you have your contract ND? Are you allowed to give a rough figure? (If you can, I don't want to put you in a compromising postion though) lol
This forum isn't anonymous enough for me to give you an actual figure. Let's just say that when you consider how many hours i'll be working, it's not *that* great. (that's just for the internship though, actual permanent work is different because of the bonuses)

edit: Seraphim, you may want to check out the forum at www.top-consultant.com

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Yeh the pay is higher in the UK. (needs to be to offset the higher cost of living)

efinancialnews said:
Investment banking analysts at Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley are in line for the biggest payouts. First year analysts at these banks are apparently on track to receive bonuses of £48,000, second year analysts will receive £59,000, and third years will receive £70,000.

This compares favourably with their colleagues at Citigroup and Deutsche Bank, who are apparently on track for bonuses up to 12% lower. First year analysts at Deutsche Bank are said to be on track for a ‘mere’ £43,000 bonus, for example.

Logan Naidu, a consultant at recruitment firm Cornell Partnership, says all the figures seem a bit overoptimistic. “This suggests first-year analysts will be receiving bonuses that are 100% of base pay.”
Man i would love to get £96,000 (which is around $240,000) first year out...

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Except it is extremely challenging to get into those banks over there. Especially when you compete against people like this :

: A Czech student has gained 10 A grade A-levels and three distinctions in the follow-on Advanced Extension Awards.

Jan Sramek, who attended Bootham School, in York under a scholarship scheme for Eastern European student, said he was "delighted".
Advertisement

He sat 44 papers during a marathon 78 hours in the exam room and his school said he achieved full marks in nearly half the papers he sat.

The 19-year-old is preparing to study at Cambridge University, where he has been awarded a scholarship to read economics.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13538209,00.html

ND

HSC
Except it is extremely challenging to get into those banks over there. Especially when you compete against people like this :

: A Czech student has gained 10 A grade A-levels and three distinctions in the follow-on Advanced Extension Awards.

Jan Sramek, who attended Bootham School, in York under a scholarship scheme for Eastern European student, said he was "delighted".
Advertisement

He sat 44 papers during a marathon 78 hours in the exam room and his school said he achieved full marks in nearly half the papers he sat.

The 19-year-old is preparing to study at Cambridge University, where he has been awarded a scholarship to read economics.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...538209,00.html
Wow that is fucking impressive.

There's nothing there to suggest that he'd make a good banker though - there are many extremely bright people that don't have a hope of making it into IB (well, not front office anyway).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Of course, you get people with 2nd class div 2 honours and they make good bankers. ND to secure those lucrative internships what kind of marks are you looking at?

ND

HSC
Yep, in fact, i'm reading a book on banking in the 80s and alot of the most successful bankers got nothing but Bs and Cs throughout uni. (for anyone that's interested, the book is "Barbarians at the Gate", and it's a great read. Not only about banking though)

I'm on a D average in actuarial studies, but i know people with marks alot higher that didn't even get an interview (so there's definately alot more to it than marks).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)