Carrotsticks' Solutions 2015 Extension 1 HSC (1 Viewer)

SNT k

HSC
also for question 12 d iii shouludnt the answer be 2.56 thats what i got? did i do something wrong?

SNT k

HSC
for question 13b i should it have the 18C2 as well cos its part of the binomiinal expansion??

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Tell me that story please xD
Also this is gonna come across as hella arrogant, but say in hypothetical dreamland I get state ranks in Physics, Software and 4U Maths, would I then be able to get 99.95 with a mid/low end E4 in 3U Maths?
Yes, depends on English.

IamKirby

HSC
For the circle geometry, part i and ii, since they ask 'What is the size of the angle...?', were reasons needed? If so, another 2 marks lost. Especially because I didn't read that we needed to copy the diagram.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
That also seems to have happened with 13bi
for question 13b i should it have the 18C2 as well cos its part of the binomiinal expansion??
I am out atm so I cannot fix it now, but cheers for pointing it out. Very unusual for the solutions to have reverted itself like that for no reason.
For the circle geometry, part i and ii, since they ask 'What is the size of the angle...?', were reasons needed? If so, another 2 marks lost. Especially because I didn't read that we needed to copy the diagram.
I do not remember the mark allocations, the answer depends on that.

IamKirby

HSC
I am out atm so I cannot fix it now, but cheers for pointing it out. Very unusual for the solutions to have reverted itself like that for no reason.

I do not remember the mark allocations, the answer depends on that.
They were both worth 1 mark each, part iii which specified 'give reasons' was worth 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
That's a very short mountain then.

It's too late now for you, but for this reason I always tell my students to verify their answer with what makes sense in real life. Is your answer reasonable? If not, double check it.

So if I got a 62m high mountain, I'd immediately be suspicious.
Lol i got 20 meters

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Is LaTeX a downloadable program that I can use to write up pdf's containing math equations? I thought LaTeX was a specific code used.
Nope lol (to the last sentence), you can download it and write up documents containing equations. Depending on your Operating System, there's different places to get it from. They're listed here: https://latex-project.org/ftp.html

Last edited:

helloimyellow

HSC
Hi, for question 14a)ii), I first proved that the particle was moving downwards at time t = 2v/g.sqrt(3) (I know that it's part iii) but I proved it anyway :S).

Then, I said alpha = arctan(-y dot/x dot), since the particle was moving downwards, and ended up with alpha = pi/3.

Would I get deducted one mark for not using alpha = arctan(y dot/x dot)? Thanks in advance!!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hi, for question 14a)ii), I first proved that the particle was moving downwards at time t = 2v/g.sqrt(3) (I know that it's part iii) but I proved it anyway :S).

Then, I said alpha = arctan(-y dot/x dot), since the particle was moving downwards, and ended up with alpha = pi/3.

Would I get deducted one mark for not using alpha = arctan(y dot/x dot)? Thanks in advance!!
This is a tough one, I am not completely sure whether you would be awarded full marks or not for this response.

ENFP

HSC
In question 5, why is the answer A rather than C? A point exists when y=0 but not when y=3....

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
In question 5, why is the answer A rather than C? A point exists when y=0 but not when y=3....
A curve can cross a horizontal asymptote. Remember, the horizontal asymptote is the behaviour of the curve EVENTUALLY. It's not like a vertical asymptote that absolutely cannot be crossed for normal functions.

Besides, the fact that the degree of the denominator > degree numerator is enough to suggest that y=0 is a horizontal asymptote.

The only way that y=k , where k=/=0, is a horizontal asymptote in rational functions, is when deg (numerator) = deg (denominator).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)