Carrotsticks' Solutions 2015 Extension 1 HSC (1 Viewer)

Bozzin8R

HSC
Just wanna thank you for making my day by confirming I'll get an e4<333 85 HSC mark was my goal all year, but 59/70 should equate to well over 90 shouldn't it?

HSC
would i get a carry on error if i got +30 instead of -30 for the angle in the projectile and so i said the particle was going up cos thats what my previous part gave me?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
would i get a carry on error if i got +30 instead of -30 for the angle in the projectile and so i said the particle was going up cos thats what my previous part gave me?
I think if you got alpha = 30, and justified that since alpha is positive then ydot>0 etc etc, then you would've gotten a CFP (carry from previous).

In other words I think you would've still gotten the mark for part (iii), but I cannot be 100% certain of course!

tondog

HSC
is it ok to just get pi/6 for the the projectile? I proved that time is after max height in (iii) hence it is down but I used y/x in part ii and still got the same magnitude so would I still get the marks?

tryhard1232

HSC
If the q is a 1 marker and u make a silly mistake? will they give u the mark or not?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
is it ok to just get pi/6 for the the projectile? I proved that time is after max height in (iii) hence it is down but I used y/x in part ii and still got the same magnitude so would I still get the marks?
You would have gotten the mark for both (ii) and (iii).

The question is asking for the angle that it makes with the horizontal. They didn't specify an orientation for the angle, so pi/6 is a valid answer.

There are 2 marks to the question. 1 mark would have been for finding ydot and xdot, the other mark would have been to make use of the formula tan(alpha)=blah to get the answer.

Unlikely they would dock you for having only pi/6 and not pi/6. By doing so, they are categorising you as a student who does not identify the tan(alpha) formula, which is most certainly not the case here.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If the q is a 1 marker and u make a silly mistake? will they give u the mark or not?
Depends on the type of silly mistake (transcription error? carry from previous? etc) and where the question is located in the paper.

tryhard1232

HSC
Depends on the type of silly mistake (transcription error? carry from previous? etc) and where the question is located in the paper.
hmmm it's question 14 c i) I wrote 6C4 x (1/2)^6 *(1/2) BUT after i walked out because i was rushing i was thinking i may have wrote the multiply sign as a + sign instead.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
hmmm it's question 14 c i) I wrote 6C4 x (1/2)^6 *(1/2) BUT after i walked out because i was rushing i was thinking i may have wrote the multiply sign as a + sign instead.
Transcription error, you would've gotten the mark still. It is clear that you intended the multiply symbol.

tondog

HSC
hmm, but i just used y/x not ydot/xdot and got the answer pi/6 lol, so I prob lose 1 mark? or would they be nice and only consider the magnitude of the answer in ii as direction is in iii

ENFP

HSC
I'm currently debating with someone as to whether Q1 was A or D. They think it's D because they gave x^3 -6x and not P(x)=x^3 -6x=0. That makes 0 sense to me, and I'm certain it was A because of Remainder theorem. To englishify my gibberish, he thinks that the remainder theorem doesn't apply to this question because they didn't equate it to 0 or something.... Any takers?

expelliarmus

HSC
if i put the angle in degrees for projecitle would i lose a mark? also what would 67/70 scale/alingn to?

Drsoccerball

HSC
I'm currently debating with someone as to whether Q1 was A or D. They think it's D because they gave x^3 -6x and not P(x)=x^3 -6x=0. That makes 0 sense to me, and I'm certain it was A because of Remainder theorem. To englishify my gibberish, he thinks that the remainder theorem doesn't apply to this question because they didn't equate it to 0 or something.... Any takers?
The question asked to find the remained no the quotient when it was divided by -3...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
hmm, but i just used y/x not ydot/xdot and got the answer pi/6 lol, so I prob lose 1 mark? or would they be nice and only consider the magnitude of the answer in ii as direction is in iii
Oh right I see, I didn't see that you excluded the dots.

You would've lost a mark for part (ii) then. However, your argument for part (iii) is still valid.

The remainder is ALWAYS at most one degree less than the dividend (which is linear in this case). That means the remainder MUST be a constant.

If your friend thinks that (D) is the answer, they probably found the quotient instead, not the remainder.

As for the remainder theorem not applying simply because they didn't define P(x) = blah... that's just silly.

ENFP

HSC
for 14ci, im not sure how but I ended up proving what they wanted via 7c5-6c5=6c4... will i get the mark with that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)