Carrotsticks' 2014 Extension 1 HSC Solutions (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
That is fine, you are just re-proving the result from part (i).

You might lose a mark for saying "A pattern is emerging". It's an Extension 1 paper not a damn movie trailer.
lol so is it a full-proof solution? are there any weaknesses in it? asking since they differentiate state-rankers by the quality of their working, and I think I have a chance :)

RIP3U

HSC
N/A
OKAY HOLD UP BOYS.

I GOT A QUESTION.

QUESTION ELEVEN B (rain)

The question asks that you "write an expression for the probability that it rains on fewer than 3 days in November"

Considering this, i only worked out P(1 days) + P(2 days) since with (0 days), it doesn't rain, thus shouldn't be included in the probability that it "rains on fewer than 3 days".

THOUGHTS? (pls i wouldn't mind not losing a mark trollface.jpg)

mreditor16

HSC
OKAY HOLD UP BOYS.

I GOT A QUESTION.

QUESTION ELEVEN B (rain)

The question asks that you "write an expression for the probability that it rains on fewer than 3 days in November"

Considering this, i only worked out P(1 days) + P(2 days) since with (0 days), it doesn't rain, thus shouldn't be included in the probability that it "rains on fewer than 3 days".

lol mindgames

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
for that question, i showed distance QS = a, not quite as elegant as braintic's solution but it worked
I really hope that students using the same method as the one braintic demonstrated were not penalised for stating things such as the gradient of the tangent at P being t and the reflection property, without proof.

lol so is it a full-proof solution? are there any weaknesses in it? asking since they differentiate state-rankers by the quality of their working, and I think I have a chance :)
Yes, the solution is 'fool-proof'. However, it seems like your spelling isn't =)

OKAY HOLD UP BOYS.

I GOT A QUESTION.

QUESTION ELEVEN B (rain)

That will get you one mark out of two.

Oh never mind, I skimmed and thought your justification was for why 0 was to be included, not why 0 is NOT to be included.

You may or may not get a mark. Leaning towards not.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Carret, how do they determine the order of state rankings? especially if they all got the same raw mark??

is it true they compare the quality of working out??

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Carret, how do they determine the order of state rankings? especially if they all got the same raw mark??

is it true they compare the quality of working out??
I cannot say anything with absolute certainty.

Friend asked me this:
Difficult to say because D in fact has many maxima/minima, just need to find the one in the right domain. I'm not sure if your friend made that connection.

bio4lyf

HSC
for one of the integration questions (3 marks) i wrote 1/2 in front instead of 2 which was the rite answer..... how many marks am i going to lose???

Last edited:

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
I cannot say anything with absolute certainty.

Difficult to say because D in fact has many maxima/minima, just need to find the one in the right domain. I'm not sure if your friend made that connection.
i showed that f(pi/6) > f(pi/3) and f(pi/6) > f(0) so there must be a max between 0 & pi/3
then showed there was 1 stationary point in that domain, therefore a max

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)