Careers in research?? (1 Viewer)

sci.girl

VCE IS DONE!!:D (finally)
HSC
I am really passionate about science and wanted to pursue a career in research, possibly somewhere along the lines of molecular biology, genetics or microbiology- I'm not too sure at the moment.
However, tons of people often say that a career in research is unstable due to having to fight for funding and that research doesn't pay much at all. Is this really completely true and should I reconsider what I want to do?

Next year I wanted to do Science Advanced with Honours at Monash, then continue on to complete my PhD. Do you think this is a good path to a good research career or is there better options?

Any opinions would be great, especially if you have knowledge about this area or doing your degree having the aim of going into research would be really appreciated :)
Thanks so much!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
For your purposes a science degree with honours is probably the most direct pathway. If you're particularly keen on research you should try to get on board with some research projects early on in order to see whether research is something which suits you (that is, before committing to something as significant as a PhD program). I expect that most Go8 universities (Monash included) will have summer research scholarships/opportunities that you can get involved in. Get to know your lecturers/tutors and speak to them about research opportunities.

Another direction worth considering is medicine given that you mentioned genetics, mol. biology and micro. A medical degree would allow you to become involved in the clinical side of research (notably clinical trials) while also opening up clinical practice opportunities - most clinical academics have a mixed load of clinical work and research. Relevant medical fields include infectious diseases, oncology, clinical genetics, and paediatrics.

doink

Clone
HSC
Alot of academics employed by the university do research as well as conduct lectures, that way you dont have to worry about funding or job instability as there is always a need for uni staff.

Just another option to consider.

sci.girl

HSC
Thanks for your help KFunk and doink :)
I was considering medicine for a while, but I have talked to a few research scientists and they say medicine or biomedicine is fairly limited in what you can do(ie. medical research only). So, I thought about doing Science as I might find an interest in something I don't know about yet.
Thanks again for your opinions!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Certainly, medicine is limiting in so far as it doesn't provide a platform from which to enter fields like physics, mathematics or geology, etc... however, the fields that you mentioned (mol bio, genetics, micro) more or less fall within the realms of biomedical science. I've met individuals from medical backgrounds, some of whom are still clinicians at present, doing research in each of those fields. If you want to keep some of the physical sciences as live options then by all means, do a science degree. But don't rule out medicine as an option if you don't think it allows you to do research in those aforementioned areas.

You might be interested to check out the college of pathologists website. In particular see the sections on 'genetics' and 'microbiology':

http://www.rcpa.edu.au/public/pathology/discipline.cfm

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
KFunk said:
But don't rule out medicine as an option if you don't think it allows you to do research in those aforementioned areas.
Medical students don't really learn much real science. :D

I suggest a generic Science, Adv Science or Medical science degree. You will end up learning a lot more science (as expected), which is very important for research and application of ideas in research.

Marinatos

HSC
Same problem with me. Hence why I can't decide what to do at uni. The things I'm really interested in (molecular biology, genetics, microbiology, biochemistry, archaeology, etc.) either have no job oppurtunities or pay terribly D=

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Most post-doctoral research jobs pay quite decently with a starting salary of 60K+. I don't know where you got your information from.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Medical students don't really learn much real science. :D

I suggest a generic Science, Adv Science or Medical science degree. You will end up learning a lot more science (as expected), which is very important for research and application of ideas in research.
True, in a 'new style' med course the science is pretty lax (less so for anatomy, physiology and pathology). But if you're a smart student who engages with the relevant literature and is capable of completing a PhD then you shouldn't have much trouble filling the gaps (an appropriate med sci honours project doesn't hurt either). I've been filling gaps myself in the areas of psychology, psychiatry and neuroscience (sadly we do very little behavioral science) given that I intend to head in this direction. I find it to be doable.

I just figured that clinical doors are good ones to keep open before a person is confident that the lab is for them (especially with interests like molecular bio, genetics and microbiology).

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Incase it hasn't been mentioned;
Science jobs (in research) are quite competitive, and most require Hons (for the good ones) ....

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I would actually encourage most students to do Honours, not only because it makes your degree looks better and increase job prospect, but it really is a worthwhile experience.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Survivor39 said:
I would actually encourage most students to do Honours, not only because it makes your degree looks better and increase job prospect, but it really is a worthwhile experience.
Wasn't at least an overall WAM of credit-average required?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Forbidden. said:
Wasn't at least an overall WAM of credit-average required?
Yes you generally need a Credit average to do Honours. But many keen students in their chosen field would have made the required mark to go on to Honours if they wish to do so.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
sci.girl said:
That is just the point though. I could not think of anything I'd rather study than Biology-related subjects. I know I need my Hons and PhD and it would take me 8 years, not 10. I know that I will definitely get the marks for eligibility into Hons year and after that I'll see about PhD studies- I've not planned my life completely, I like to go with the flow and just see what opportunities pop up :)
At least you know what you want to do which is already an achievement! Get yourself into a Science degree and after 3 years see how you feel. Then decide whether Honours in the field is for you or not. Half way through Honours most people would have already made up their minds as to what to do next - going on to a PhD (similar to Honours but much much longer) or find a job. This depends on a number of factors including motivation for further study, PhD scholarship availability, suitability of the supervisor and project.

Outstanding students may be able to complete their PhDs in 3 years. This makes a Bachelor (Hons) + PhD a total of 7 years.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
sci.girl said:
That is just the point though. I could not think of anything I'd rather study than Biology-related subjects. I do enjoy politics and psychology, but I couldn't imagine myself in a career like that. I know I need my Hons and PhD and it would take me 8 years, not 10. I know that I will definitely get the marks for eligibility into Hons year and after that I'll see about PhD studies- I've not planned my life completely, I like to go with the flow and just see what opportunities pop up :)

With medicine, I did want to do it(took umat and all) but I've kinda realised I don't think I would stick with the degree till the end because I guess I don't really want to become an actual doctor mostly because of the patient interactions. I mean I would like the study, but probably not the end career. Sorry, don't know if that made sense :eek:
Ignore nutting, he is spewing crap about the medical science industry and it's entirely untrue.

You can major in Biology alone, and there is a big demand for Biologists/Environmental Scientists at the moment with the whole climate change/sustainability/save the animals movement, or you could just do your PhD and lecture in whatever...

sci.girl

HSC
Survivor39 said:
At least you know what you want to do which is already an achievement! Get yourself into a Science degree and after 3 years see how you feel. Then decide whether Honours in the field is for you or not. Half way through Honours most people would have already made up their minds as to what to do next - going on to a PhD (similar to Honours but much much longer) or find a job. This depends on a number of factors including motivation for further study, PhD scholarship availability, suitability of the supervisor and project.

Outstanding students may be able to complete their PhDs in 3 years. This makes a Bachelor (Hons) + PhD a total of 7 years.
Thanks so much for your advice. Sounds really good :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)