career paths? (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
what career path do you plan to take with your science degree?

just interested in whether you plan on doing just undergraduate studies or going further with something really terrifying :p

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
science degree is pretty much useless without, phd/mphil. Good basis for grad courses i guess. Im not planning on getting a job with my sci degree, as i probably wont get one in the area i want to major in --> meteorology and phys oceanography...

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
sikeveo said:
science degree is pretty much useless without, phd/mphil. Good basis for grad courses i guess. Im not planning on getting a job with my sci degree, as i probably wont get one in the area i want to major in --> meteorology and phys oceanography...
thats what i hate about science

having an undergraduate degree in most cases is just not enough

HSC
I'm studying Chemistry as a major. I will definately do honours then I will think about phD. But I think I need to do phD to get a decent job. Thinking of being a researcher or a lecturer if I'm lucky enough. I will probably study Organic Chemistry during my honours/phD year. I'm not touching physical chemistry. I hate it.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Iruka said:
I hope you're planning on migrating elsewhere if you wish to be either a scientist or an academic. Australia is the only industrialized nation that has decreased its spending on tertiary education over the past ten years (and quite substantially, at that). Decent jobs at Unis/CSIRO are as scarce as hen's teeth.
yeh, i read an article about that in the SMH. Damn government.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
You could always become a Science teacher, although you can't do anatomy in that though, which certainly annoyed the hell out of me.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Started at looking at what i'll be doing after 4th year (need to start planning 3rd year subjects from next semester). Probably want to do a computer science and mathematics honours in 5th year, from there either go into computing industry or postgrad in maths i guess.

brettm86

HSC
acmilan, just wondering, wat subs are u doing at the moment and how long ago did u transfer into unsw??

i havent been on this forum for a really long time

maths and comp sci is a really interesting area to study

but one concern ive had since i started my comp degree is that its really hard to get a programming job in this country, has anyone else heard this??

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I did first year at usyd in the bachelor of IT. This is my first semester at unsw.

This year im doing:
Session 1
COMP 2711 Higher Data Organisation
HPSC 1100 Cosmos and Culture
MATH 2111 Higher Several Variable Calculus
MATH 2240 Introduction to Oceanography & Meteorology
MATH 2901 Higher Theory of Statistics

Session 2
COMP 2041 Software Construction
COMP 2121 Microprocessors & Interfacing
GEND 0202 The Language of Interactivity
MATH 1081 Discrete Mathematics
MATH 2601 Higher Linear Algebra

They credited me with these subjects for first year:
COMP 1021 Computing 1B
COMP 1911 Computing 1
COMP 2920 Professional Issues and Ethics
ELEC 1011 Electrical Engineering 1
INFS 1602 Computer Information Systems
MATH 1141 Higher Mathematics 1A
MATH 1241 Higher Mathematics 1B
PHYS 1131 Higher Physics 1A

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Didn't you abandon maths to spend a lifetime in isolation examining trees or something? What if maths doesn't want you back?
I'm examining the mathematics of trees. :)

vorahk

HSC
im planning to take up computing science engineering/ digital media but i heard you need do a lot of maths .. is that true? i dont like maths very much ><.. i like graphics, designing, animating, robotics and biomed style stuff.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I suggest you begin to try at maths.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
vorahk said:
im planning to take up computing science engineering/ digital media but i heard you need do a lot of maths .. is that true? i dont like maths very much ><.. i like graphics, designing, animating, robotics and biomed style stuff.
Don't you do a lot of maths for robotics? I'm thinking of doing mechatronics/robotics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)