Career Advice - Failed subject, should I continue law? (1 Viewer)

applegate

HSC
I failed a unit in law, torts. Should I continue doing law?

L

LaraB

Re: Failed Unit in Law

well.. you can't really ask based on that...

how'd you do in the other units?
do you like law?
what career do you want to do?

coz plenty of people fail one/ a few law units and end up doing well overall....

omg_a

HSC

and why did you fail it? because u didn't like it? or didn't go to classes? if you didn't like it and didn't put any effort in, maybe law isn't for you? was it really hard for you? maybe that's just because it was the beginning of uni. was it because u were working a lot, or had any personal problems during the semester which distracted u?

in other words, don't automatically drop law because u failed one subject

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

applegate said:
Why not take the subject again?

It's only torts - it's not required for any other subject.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Do whatever you think is best, no one here can provide good answers to you... we don't know what you're like. If you have been doing law instead of a subject you are passionate about however, because you wanted to make the 'BIG BUX' or whatever... I would probably tell you to consider pulling out now. It's another 4 years and it's really going to hurt if you're losing the drive.

Rorix

HSC

applegate said:

No.

Let's face it, you failed torts.

L

LaraB

MoonlightSonata said:
Why not take the subject again?

It's only torts - it's not required for any other subject.
true.. but it is a core unit though.. at least it was for my uni...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

mr EaZy said:
i heard torts was easy.... :confused: i was thinking of putting it off till later since its not a prerequisite at my uni i dont think
On a superficial level negligence is easy, but it is not so straightforward when you get down to the real gritty stuff. However, in comparison with say, property law, it is a much more straightforward and readily understandable subject.

Most students find it an interesting course though, which aids a lot in learning.

L

LaraB

MoonlightSonata said:
On a superficial level negligence is easy, but it is not so straightforward when you get down to the real gritty stuff. However, in comparison with say, property law, it is a much more straightforward and readily understandable subject.

Most students find it an interesting course though, which aids a lot in learning.
true... plus, i don't know about elsewhere, but the way it was taught and the fact that it's a 1st year, 1st semester unit - meant it was a really good 'introduction' and i guess, 'guide' to how to structure answers for problems and the like.

Plus - if you did legal studies in high school, a lot of the basic principles are extended upon so you should at least know some background on t he topics which makes it a less daunting topic for youre 1st year/semester:) - ie D v S snail in the bottle and all those kinds of cases.

i know that a lot of people in my classes said they felt torts was 'easier' than say, crim, because tehre are less exceptions to established rules and the CLA pretty much says what is and what isn't.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Advice Needed - Failed subject, should I continue law?

Yes I think torts is a good subject to introduce students to answering legal problems.

Some teachers have commented that it isn't that easy and should not be taught in first year. But in comparison to other subjects, it seems like it belongs there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)