Carbon Dioxide solubility in water and Le Chatliers principal (1 Viewer)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Hi
Why is it that when we open a soft drink bottle CO2 gas is produced in terms of Le Chatliers principal.

Also can someone write the overall equation involving CO2 gas CO2 aqeuoes and then Carbonic Acid.

Which part of this reaction is endothermic, THANKS

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
CO2(g) --> CO2(aq)
CO2(aq) + H2O --> H2CO3(aq)
H2CO3(aq) --> H+ + HCO-
HCO3(aq)- --> H+ + CO3(aq)2-

mainly..
CO2(g) + H2O(aq) --> H2CO3(aq)
when pressure is reduced (opening bottle) equilibrium will shift left to minimise this change (Le chateliers principle) thus creating CO2(g)
the above reaction is exothermic in the forward direction therefore increasing temp will aslo shift eq to left

Shoom

HSC
N/A
So its ok if I use this equation

CO2+ H2O ( equilibrium symbol) H2CO3

When the CO2 is dissolved in water to produce H2CO3 heat is given of?

I still dont understand how shifting the equation to the left favours the ( increased pressure)

danz90

HSC
Well by opening up the bottle, your essentially increasing the volume, which ultimately reduces the concentration of CO2 (since pressure is proportional to 1/V , V=volume). As a result, the equilibrium will shift to the production of CO2(g) so it partially offsets the reduced [CO2].
The following reaction will be favoured:

CO2(aq) ----> CO2(g)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
So, when I open the bottle I decrease pressure hence the eq goes to the left?

Please explain it in terms of Le Chats principal.

danz90

HSC
Shoom said:
So, when I open the bottle I decrease pressure hence the eq goes to the left?

Please explain it in terms of Le Chats principal.
I pretty much did, above.

The pressure decreasing leads to a DECREASE in concentration of any gaseous CO2 in the system. As a result, the equilibrium will shift such that more CO2 (g) is produced to partially offset the decreased [CO2(g)]. Hence, the equation i gave above is favoured.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Ok

IF I open a bottle, pressure is decreased. So the solubility of CO2 degreases , so to balance that out shouldnt the eq go to the right?

danz90

HSC
Shoom said:
Ok

IF I open a bottle, pressure is decreased. So the solubility of CO2 degreases , so to balance that out shouldnt the eq go to the right?
Well, think about it physically. In equilibrium, there are ALWAYS some amounts of both products and reactants present. Obviously, the amount of each changes.

Inside a soft drink bottle there is still some gaseous CO2 in the air just above the liquid. So, when you open, the pressure is GREATLY decreased, thus decreasing the concentration of CO2 (because there is a greater volume that gaseous CO2 can occupy). Also, some CO2 will escape, thus removing some CO2(g) from the system.

As a result, the equilibrium will shift in such a manner, that more CO2(g) is present at equilibrium, to partially offset both the loss of CO2(g) (because some of it has escaped from the bottle once you open it), and also the decreased concentration of CO2(g), as you greatly decrease pressure by opening the bottle (you are essentially increasing the volume that the given amount of CO2(g) occupies).

Hence, all the equations in equilibrium are favoured to result in more gaseous CO2(g) present:

H+ + HCO3-(aq) ---> H2CO3(aq)

H2CO3(aq) ---> H2O(l) + CO2(aq)

CO2(aq) ---> CO2(g)

Hope that helps :)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Thankyou So Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Ok, by opening the bottle the pressure is decreased.

So the equations are shifted to the left.

So whats the point of shkaing it, why does it speed up the reaction etc?

danz90

HSC
Shoom said:
Ok, by opening the bottle the pressure is decreased.

So the equations are shifted to the left.

So whats the point of shkaing it, why does it speed up the reaction etc?
Well, I'd imagine shaking the bottle would cause greater rate of collisions between CO2(aq) particles, as well as other particles involved in the equilibrium. By you shaking it, you're providing kinetic energy which also provides activation energy for the reaction to occur. As a result of increased rate of collisions, that would increase the rate of the following reaction:

CO2(aq) ---> CO2(g)

Not sure if that's correct though lol

JasonNg1025

HSC
I'd say that was correct. That's why the "Healed and Sealed" trick works :p Look it up on youtube if you don't know it.

Zippora

HSC
the reaction moves to the right when you open it! to produce more gas!

danz90

HSC
Zippora said:
the reaction moves to the right when you open it! to produce more gas!
lol depends at which way u look at it.. the main and correct thing is, which we all agree on.. is that when the bottle is opened, equilibrium shifts so that more gas is produced/released etc.

Zippora

HSC
danz90 said:
lol depends at which way u look at it.. the main and correct thing is, which we all agree on.. is that when the bottle is opened, equilibrium shifts so that more gas is produced/released etc.
sure, and if we look at it they way that you wrote it above, and the way that every other person on this thread has written it, then the equilibrium is shifting right when the pressure is released.
I dont understand why everyone is writing

CO2(aq) --> CO2(g) and then saying it shifts to the left????

JasonNg1025

HSC
I think when they're referring to "left" they're referring to the equation which is usually

CO2 (g) + H2O (l) <=> H2CO3 (aq)

Which is another of writing

CO2 (g) --> CO2 (aq)

And so equilibrium goes left

danz90

HSC
JasonNg1025 said:
I think when they're referring to "left" they're referring to the equation which is usually

CO2 (g) + H2O (l) <=> H2CO3 (aq)

Which is another of writing

CO2 (g) --> CO2 (aq)

And so equilibrium goes left
Ohhh I seeeee lol ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)