Capped Subjects. (1 Viewer)

dpospination

HSC
What subjects have a tendancy to be capped? For example, wat sunjects were capped last year? Where: Engineering Studies, Physics or Biology capped? what were the highest marks in each of these subjects (not physics and bio, eng. studies)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dpospination said:
What subjects have a tendancy to be capped? For example, wat sunjects were capped last year? Where: Engineering Studies, Physics or Biology capped? what were the highest marks in each of these subjects (not physics and bio, eng. studies)
Subjects that have a 'tendency' to be capped are those that are considered 'easy' by many. Subjects such as Aboriginal Studies and Agriculture are examples of 'easy' subjects that are not very popular with those 'top-ends students'.

Subjects that were capped last year are:
  • Aboriginal Studies
  • Agriculture
  • Ancient History (marginally)
  • Business Studies
  • Community & Family Studies
  • Dance
  • Design & Technology
  • Drama
  • Earth & Environmental Science
  • Engineering Studies
  • English Standard
  • ESL
  • Food Technology
  • Information Processes & Technology
  • History Extension (another marginally capped one)
  • Music 1
  • PD/H/PE
  • Senior Science
  • Society & Culture
  • Software Design & Development
  • SOR I
  • Textiles & Design
  • Visual Arts
There are more 'capped' subjects, though. Apart from those 'marginally capped subjects' all those subjects carry around 42-48/50 scaled marks even if you come first in the state for that particular subject. Biology and Physics are not 'capped'.

dpospination

HSC
thanks a tonne man. But wat was the highest mark in (HSC Mark) in Engineering Studies last year? Is it possible to achieve the full mark in a capped subjects, because i definately know that students achieved 100 in Ancient History last year despite it being capped marginally

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dpospination said:
thanks a tonne man. But wat was the highest mark in (HSC Mark) in Engineering Studies last year?
47.7/50. That's what the top in the state person got. That is like 95/100 since every mark in rounded to the neareast mark and it is quite reasonable.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dpospination said:
where do u acces this info from, thanks man.
I got it from the most recent 2007 scaling report from UAC website. Someone actually found it for me and downloaded off him. This is the file:

View attachment 16378

cs01001

HSC
Thanks for that. By booking at your quality post around BOS, just curious, what school do you go to and what mark did u get in maths? I really wanna improve my maths :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:
Thanks for that. By booking at your quality post around BOS, just curious, what school do you go to and what mark did u get in maths? I really wanna improve my maths :(
I did not do my external HSC Mathematics & Extension 1 yet.

However, if you are asking about my recent school performances, I came 2nd in my preliminary year for Extension 1 Mathematics (did not get my HSC internal marks back yet) and equal first in the first HSC internal for Mathematics.

I am attending St Pius X College at Chatswood.

To improve in Mathematics, you will need to put at least an hour everyday. I have been stressing this to many of the Bored of Studies members.

Mathematics is a subject where contents are very much skilled based. So, it is important to do lots of questions in a great variety. I personally put 2-3 hours a day solely on Mathematics & Extension 1.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Being capped in a certain year just means no one achieved a UAI on 100 with that subject.

Because it previous years PDHPE, and some others have had people achieve UAI's of 100.

ccc123

HSC
risole91 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Being capped in a certain year just means no one achieved a UAI on 100 with that subject.

Because it previous years PDHPE, and some others have had people achieve UAI's of 100.
Hmm, everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it just means for a certan subject, there is a threshold preventing you from achieveing a maximum aligned mark of 50.00. Even if one of your subjects is capped, its still possible to obtain an 100 UAI.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't think so. I had a friend (Peter Yoon) at my school (he is an ex-student of my school) who came first in the state for Mathematics when he was an accelerant student in 2003. He also came first in the state for Physics when he did his HSC in 2004. He ended up getting UAI of 99.9 due to his Standard English mark. However, during those two consecutive years, Mathematics and Physics all had scaling of 50/50 (which means that they were not 'capped'). So I think subjects are 'capped' because there are not many academic people in that particular subject.

Followings links prove that he came first in both Mathematics and Physics in 2003 & 2004: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/FSTIC_2004_12.php
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/FSTIC_2003_12.php
<TABLE style="BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: rgb(192,192,192); BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: rgb(192,192,192); BORDER-TOP-COLOR: rgb(192,192,192); BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: rgb(192,192,192)" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=right>15240</TD><TD>Mathematics</TD><TD>Peter Daechul</TD><TD>Yoon</TD><TD>St Pius X College</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: rgb(192,192,192); BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: rgb(192,192,192); BORDER-TOP-COLOR: rgb(192,192,192); BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: rgb(192,192,192)" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=right>15330</TD><TD>Physics</TD><TD>Peter Daechul</TD><TD>Yoon</TD><TD>St Pius X College</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ccc123 said:
Hmm, everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it just means for a certan subject, there is a threshold preventing you from achieveing a maximum aligned mark of 50.00. Even if one of your subjects is capped, its still possible to obtain an 100 UAI.
No point in correcting you as your spot-on comment was exactly what I was going to say.

nottellingu

HSC
I dont get this table can someone please explain ?

Course Enrolment Type ofmark Mean S.D Max. P​
99 P90 P75 P50 P25

Biology 14,447 HSC 36.8 5.9 49.5 47.5 44.0 41.0 37.5 33.5​
scaled 26.9 9.5 50.0 45.5 39.0 34.1 27.6 20.3

Well this is midleading but if u look at the table by clicking the link u can get what im sayin better. For biology it says that P90 44 in hsc got scaled down to 39. Does that mean a person in the top 10% of the state who got 44 i.e 88 got scaled down to 78 a band 4 ? :vcross:
Also look at the scaling of phyics WTF ? :pain:
If only i could do more maths :p

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nottellingu said:
I dont get this table can someone please explain ?

Course Enrolment Type ofmark Mean S.D Max. P​
99 P90 P75 P50 P25

Biology 14,447 HSC 36.8 5.9 49.5 47.5 44.0 41.0 37.5 33.5​

scaled 26.9 9.5 50.0 45.5 39.0 34.1 27.6 20.3

Well this is midleading but if u look at the table by clicking the link u can get what im sayin better. For biology it says that P90 44 in hsc got scaled down to 39. Does that mean a person in the top 10% of the state who got 44 i.e 88 got scaled down to 78 a band 4 ? :vcross:
Also look at the scaling of phyics WTF ? :pain:
If only i could do more maths :p

Whether you get band 6 or band 5 depends on your aligned marks. Therefore, if you get over 90% as your aligned marks, you get band 6. However, this band 6 is used to derive the scaled marks.

And that''s true. If you get 88 ALIGNED MARK, you get 78 SCALED MARK. Using the SCALED MARKS of 10 units, we can therefore derive your total aggregate out of 500 (1 unit = 50 marks) and than, using this aggregate to get your UAI.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I find this so extremely confusing.
I have no idea what a scaled mark is, or an aligned mark.
And I'm a bit confused about what you're saying about it being capped?
Can someone please explain in simple terms what capping is?

=)
Thanks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hollieee said:
I find this so extremely confusing.
I have no idea what a scaled mark is, or an aligned mark.
And I'm a bit confused about what you're saying about it being capped?
Can someone please explain in simple terms what capping is?

=)
Thanks.
If you do "capped subjects", no matter how well you perform (even the top in the state!) you don't get the full SCALED marks.

In many subjects including maths, if you come first in the state, you get full SCALED marks. But there are some subjects like Business Studies, where you cannot get full SCALED marks due to small numbers of "academic" people in that particular course.

EDIT: SCALED marks are marks that were adjusted from ALIGNED MARKS (aligned marks are from your exam RAW marks).

So to simply put: RAW = Processing = ALIGNED MARK = Scaling = SCALED MARK

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)