CANNOT find a technique in this Frankenstein quote! (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
“You are my creator, but I am your master.” -- what the monster tells Victor Frankenstein atop Mt Montanvert.

What I've got:

This use of [TECHNIQUE] highlights a reversal of power between creator and creation.

But, could someone identify a technique??? It'd be muchly appreciated :speechless:

Eyedeology

HSC
I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but perhaps you could state it's a Paradoxial statement? Creator often implies control, but the quote suggests the creator is being controlled.

A controller is being controlled.

If not paradox, just do contradiction.

Pyramid

HSC
I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but perhaps you could state it's a Paradoxial statement? Creator often implies control, but the quote suggests the creator is being controlled.

A controller is being controlled.

If not paradox, just do contradiction.
Thanks, that does sound good. So, then, how about this? Would a marker accept this as a valid EXAMPLE-->TECHNIQUE-->EFFECT?

“You are my creator, but I am your master.” This paradox highlights a stunning reversal of power between creator and creation.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You'd need to explain how it is a paradox. As a stand alone technique, its not enough.

Pyramid

HSC
You'd need to explain how it is a paradox. As a stand alone technique, its not enough.
Okay...how about this?

“You are my creator, but I am your master.” This seemingly contradictory statement highlights a stunning reversal of power between creator and creation.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i believe the technique you are looking for is called antithesis

Antithesis (Greek for "setting opposite", from ἀντί "against" + θέσις "position") is a counter-proposition and denotes a direct contrast to the original proposition. In setting the opposite, an individual brings out of a contrast in the meaning (e.g., the definition, interpretation, or semantics) by an obvious contrast in the expression.
Some other examples of antithesis are:
A) Man proposes, God disposes.
B) Give everyman thy ear, but few thy voice.
C) Many are called, but few are chosen.
from Shakespeare:

Not that I loved Cæsar less, but that I loved Rome more.
(William Shakespeare, "Julius Cæsar," Act 3, scene 2, 22)
Antithesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pyramid

HSC
i believe the technique you are looking for is called antithesis

Wow, thanks. That looks about spot-on.

“You are my creator, but I am your master.” This antithetical statement highlights a stunning reversal of power between creator and creation.

...or do I just mention "antithesis"?

Last edited:

studybuddy09

HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no antithesis in the statement of the Monster. That is where the paradox/contradiction comes in: Master and Creation are so closely tied in our language (perhaps due to Christian idea of one Lord and Creator) that they cannot be opposites, therefore it's a statement with attached irony: despite having created the creature, Frankenstein is now out of control because of the vengeance of the Monster.

I would stick with contradictory statement or even go so far as to say that the way their roles are reversed implies the irony of Frankenstein's lack of control over his creation... Not well phrased, but I bet you could work out something better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)