Candaditure performance and school rank. (1 Viewer)

sepul

HSC
I know that if your year performes well in a subject ( above state average ) then you will all benefit from better scaling, but what happens if only say, the top 10% of your year performes really really well, will they be brought down and pull everyone else up, or will they only benefit from better scaling, or not at all ?

And also I've noticed people have been talking about their school rank, where can I get this information, and what is it based on, the previous year's HSC performance, or the accumulation of all the HSC performances ?

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by sepul
I know that if your year performes well in a subject ( above state average ) then you will all benefit from better scaling, but what happens if only say, the top 10% of your year performes really really well, will they be brought down and pull everyone else up, or will they only benefit from better scaling, or not at all ?
Mmm it's not scaling - it affects the moderation of your assessment marks... doesn't touch your exam marks at all. With regard to your second example, the top person would be rewarded appropriately, and the rewards diminish as you go down from there...

You can observe the effect here:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php
NB: This is a prototype only!

And also I've noticed people have been talking about their school rank, where can I get this information, and what is it based on, the previous year's HSC performance, or the accumulation of all the HSC performances ?
Based on 2002 results only - the list is marked as one of the "Important" threads in this forum.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
I hate how this whole HSC moderated assessment mark thing is done

:(
It's actually pretty fair, although it does sound kind of weird and very comfusing, so far I don't think there is any other way to handle it without some sort of bias seeing as though the only thing that can be compared throughout schools is the common HSC exam.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Well i guess it's better than just to depend it at the end of year exam. which they do in France

sepul

HSC
france, haha

Yeah I like how it's done, although it does place a lot of pressure on the HSC exams, because that's the only true marker to compare students.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
...You can observe the effect here:
its a cool program u have there laz....my teacher actually gave me the result of a class (witht the names rubbed off) with all their assessment, exam, moderated assessment marks, i will test ya program out with that (but thats if i find it :().

sepul

HSC
I don't think I'm using it right, either that or it's fucked up.

Each assessment mark/exam mark line is seperate from the next right ? Because when I enter all of the collums full it changes the values of some of them when I just have the top two filled in.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lazarus
You can observe the effect here:
Nifty! :)

Each assessment mark/exam mark line is seperate from the next right ? Because when I enter all of the collums full it changes the values of some of them when I just have the top two filled in.
Try filling each of the spaces with one number only, such as 60 or so, and see if works for you.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC

Post the marks you're entering and describe what you think should be happening (as opposed to what actually happens).

It's entirely possible that there's a bug or two - it's only a prototype, as I said.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I can add extra inputs... how many do you need?

sepul

HSC
flyin' - I was only entering one number.

Laz - Say if I put as the assessment marks "85 80 60 70" then to the corresponding exam marks "80 85 70 60" then the "moderated mark" comes out to be 85, 80 60 and 70 - exactly the same as the assessment marks.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Laz - ... the "moderated mark" comes out to be ... exactly the same as the assessment marks.
When the distribution of exam marks is exactly the same as the distribution of assessment marks, there is no need for any adjustment. :)

Remember, it doesn't matter which student gains which exam mark - it is only the distribution of exam marks that is used to moderate the assessment marks.

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
So what's this program actually do?
Does it give you an example of what your hsc mark will be like?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Oh my god.. I think I finally understand the concept of the moderated assessment marks.

*LoL* :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)