Cancellation of Youth allowance (1 Viewer)

fungus44

HSC
Hi.
I have been receiving centrelink money but it has recently be cancelled due to my high income. I would be going on a long holiday after the exams, and then going off on exchange to Japan.
I asked last year, and they said that I would still be able to collect money from them as long as I tell them I will be leaving.
Does anyone know how I should reinstate my income before I leave? Do I have to go through the whole application process again?
I would be still working for a local Australian source during my holiday and exchange, but the income shouldnt exceed the centrelink threshold. Also I would like to apply for rent assistance. Do I have to declare independence in to do that?
Thanks heaps..
n_n

Peartie

HSC
in my experience:

I was earning 2 much as i was working two jobs however as soon as I stopped earning over the amount Youth allowance was automatically started again...just check with them.

Im on exchange atm and am getting YA as well....you just need to take into them your itinery/plane tickets and a letter of acceptance and also a letter from your uni saying that the exchange is counting towards your degree here in australia...

fungus44

HSC
I received a letter saying that I have been receiving income above their threshold for 12 weeks and therefore it has been cancelled. So I don't and cannot report my income online no more.
You didnt get that letter did u?

Peartie

HSC
nope

but i had one week where i earnt $5 for YA so thatd be why i didnt get it cancelled

fungus44

HSC
Another question,,
since you are on exchange now, I suppose you are supporting yourself financially. Whats the maximum amount of money you are allowed to have in your bank before centrelink tells you to spend your own money first?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
ring up centrelink and ask them whether you need to go through the whole application procedure or whether they can reactivate your payment somehow.

and you don't need to be classified as independent to get rent assistance, you just need to be living away from your parents and be paying more than a certain amount for accommodation.

Peartie

HSC
to get rent assist you need to be on another centrelink benefit....to get YA you need to be independent or have parent not earning much, so you do need to be independent - thats what i was told by centrelink....

and it doesnt matter....im "independent" so i get the independent away from home rate once every 2 weeks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)