can you self study 4u and still get a high E4/B6 (1 Viewer)

contro3ler

HSC
as above. I've always been alright at maths (rank ~25-30/130 w/o tutoring since like year seven, at a top 10 school) , and I did tutoring for the past 2 terms but it's not helping at all. But when you see shit like the top 4 Ext 2 people being from the same tutoring place, and the fact that at my school, everyone (literally ever single mf bro) does tutoring, it really makes you doubt if you can get a high E4 doing shit by yourself, cos you are literally at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the grade. the maths dept at school is pretty good (like they have the nice LaTeX booklets and everything) and the teachers are supportive and stuff.

does anyone know of 4u state rankers who didnt acc do tutoring lol?

idkkdi

HSC
as above. I've always been alright at maths (rank ~25-30/130 w/o tutoring since like year seven, at a top 10 school) , and I did tutoring for the past 2 terms but it's not helping at all. But when you see shit like the top 4 Ext 2 people being from the same tutoring place, and the fact that at my school, everyone (literally ever single mf bro) does tutoring, it really makes you doubt if you can get a high E4 doing shit by yourself, cos you are literally at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the grade. the maths dept at school is pretty good (like they have the nice LaTeX booklets and everything) and the teachers are supportive and stuff.

arguably the harder part about sring 4u at some schools is to be ranked at the top during internals. and if u self study rather than go du or kurt or sth u have a higher chance of getting smoked by not knowing of certain q types or where to get them from

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
aaaaaaaaaaa

There are a few but from the list ik, most did at least at one point do tutoring and stopped bc they just started using other resources from their friends. Also, just going to a tutor does not just randomly guarantee marks. You need to put in some effort from your side (i.e. from a previous post, you mentioned that you barely ever handed in hw which is a huge red flag).

HSC
It is possible, but you need to be able to motivate yourself to have the discipline that tutoring will give you/give you the environment for.

carrotsss

HSC
Yes it is very possible to do well, as mentioned above the main difficulty is internal assessments which tutoring centres can give much more resources for. Once you get to trials and the HSC I don’t think it makes much of a difference, since the best revision method is past papers and that’s free for everyone, and once you’re at the stage of a high E4 you shouldn’t really need explanations from a tutor anyway

kkk579

hello
HSC

i think nathan zhou did but he used tutor resources from other friends irrc

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Yes, but its really up to you and how much effort you are willing to put in. I'm was never a person who was good at maths, so I decided to seek for tutor help, but at the end of the day if you are able to put in the hours and gather resources I don't see any reason for you not to get a good mark. I would say the only thing tutoring gives is an early start on topics and resources. You might be able to get away with not doing tutoring for maths, but for subjects like english i would advise to at least get some sort of aid even from friends and such.

Now that I've seen this, you've reminded me to start putting more effort into 4u :cool:

gazzaboy

HSC
Personally I didn't do any tutoring for Mathematics Extension 2. I mainly did all of the "extension" questions in Cambridge 3U textbook, and lots of past paper questions.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC

also depends on ur aptitude imo...
state rankers never would have needed tutoring int he first place tbh

Personally I didn't do any tutoring for Mathematics Extension 2. I mainly did all of the "extension" questions in Cambridge 3U textbook, and lots of past paper questions.
u can take advice like this but this dude got like 4 or 5 state ranks

important part is u have to be aware and link it back to ur capabilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)