• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can you quote historiography in your introduction of an essay? (1 Viewer)

Cheap Thrills

HSC
um today at the HTA modern study day, ken webb said that is wasnt a good idea, that it is much better suited to your essay body. and the guy is one of the supervising markers, so i guess he knows his shit

Kujah

HSC
N/A
My teacher said you could make statements on the historiographical debates in your intro, but its best to leave in the quotes in the body. The intro/conclusion is used to define and raise your key terms and arguments.

ccc123

HSC
Kujah said:
My teacher said you could make statements on the historiographical debates in your intro, but its best to leave in the quotes in the body. The intro/conclusion is used to define and raise your key terms and arguments.
so i can't start with a historian's quote? :(

el gwapo

HSC
ccc123 said:
so i can't start with a historian's quote? :(
unless it's really really relevant to the essay question, no. From what I remember Modern History intros should be looking to tell the reader/marker your stance on the question and how you're going to go about writing it. Historiography and direct quotation are more about supplementing and strengthening your argument.

stillwaters

HSC
quote a thons are big NO... unless its relevant to what you're arguing... as our teacher likes reminding us...

lionking1191

HSC
not unless you can integrate it seamlessly into your argument

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)