Can you pick up Extension 2 Maths without being recommended? (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard multiple stories about how people did 4 unit maths without being recommended but heres the thing:
- majority of my cohort attends truongs, which pretty much accelerates them in 3u and for some students, 4u.
- I don't have that luxury but I do well in school and hope that I can pick up 4u
- I'm not sure how I would cope with 4u but I've been trying to study ahead on the side for 3u and I would say my progress is pretty good so far.

So do you have to be recommended by your teacher to take 4u maths in year 12 or can you write it down for your year 12 subject selection? I know its a bit far to think about this but seeing as im 3 terms into year 12, I might as well.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
the school can't prevent you from doing any subject. if so, call up bos.

Examine

same
HSC
the school can't prevent you from doing any subject. if so, call up bos.
Basically this. They can highly discourage you but can't outright prevent you unless the class is full.

Last edited:

mrpali

HSC
Basically this. They can highly discourage you but can't outright prevent you unless the class is full.
really? i heard that the school can deny you of a class? my school aren't letting some/most students do 2u math because the class is "full" (thats bullshit), i think they say that because they don't want their school rank to drop.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
really? i heard that the school can deny you of a class? my school aren't letting some/most students do 2u math because the class is "full" (thats bullshit), i think they say that because they don't want their school rank to drop.
yeah pretty much. Well if some students make an appeal, they'll most likely let you into a class, its just the way you go around it but I have no idea about 4u maths since its the highest unit of study you can take in highschool...

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it depends on the school, in general schools don't have the right to ban you from doing a subject. I think you shouldn't worry too much about what other people is doing. Just focus on yourself and make sure you maximise your extension one maths marks to ensure you will be recommended to pick up extension 2 maths:) Best wishes for this year:)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Some schools pretty much spend a high proportion of time badgering students not to do certain subjects

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I've heard multiple stories about how people did 4 unit maths without being recommended but heres the thing:
- majority of my cohort attends truongs, which pretty much accelerates them in 3u and for some students, 4u.
- I don't have that luxury but I do well in school and hope that I can pick up 4u
- I'm not sure how I would cope with 4u but I've been trying to study ahead on the side for 3u and I would say my progress is pretty good so far.

So do you have to be recommended by your teacher to take 4u maths in year 12 or can you write it down for your year 12 subject selection? I know its a bit far to think about this but seeing as im 3 terms into year 12, I might as well.
OP, I'm in your grade and in my opinion- you should focus on attaining the marks to be 'recommended' instead of spending your time worrying that you won't. By the way do you go to Mac Fields, Sefton or Hurlstone ? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
If the classes are full. You can't do anything about it. In my school, unless you were ranked the first 27, you wouldn't be accepted.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
OP, I'm in your grade and in my opinion- you should focus on attaining the marks to be 'recommended' instead of spending your time worrying that you won't. By the way do you go to Mac Fields, Sefton or Hurlstone ? lol

Preliminary HSC '14- Subjects: 2U Maths, Adv. English, Business Studies, Legal Studies,
Economics, Agriculture.

Not a sefton, macfields or hurlstone student. Think more in the Fairfield region (not Fairfield hs)

If the classes are full. You can't do anything about it. In my school, unless you were ranked the first 27, you wouldn't be accepted.
But im sure different schools have different requirements?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
You don't need to be recommended, but I would advise you to ask your teacher after you finish your prelims if they think you're competent enough to take up 4U. If they say that you're gonna struggle, then you will most likely struggle.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Not a sefton, macfields or hurlstone student. Think more in the Fairfield region (not Fairfield hs)

But im sure different schools have different requirements?
Ah! Do you go to pats?

Economics, Agriculture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)