can you be accepted if your uai is lower than the cut off...? (1 Viewer)

barbie_doll

HSC
this is the situation...

a friend of mine recieved a uai of 71.something
the uai i recieved was 75.something

we both applied for the same course which ended up having a cut off uai of 81.10.

due to the fact that my uai was lower than the cut off for the course, i did not think that i would be accepted, but i kept my preferences in anyway just to see what happened. the particular course was my first preference and was my friends 2nd or 3rd preference.

she was accepted into the course and i was not.

can someone please explain how this can be possible??

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Perhaps she performed sexual favours for someone.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
she probly used eas. did the course have prerequisites? maybe u didnt have the prerequisite and she did?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Perhaps she performed sexual favours for someone.
No need for that in here...

I say most likely that your friend applied for the EAS disadvantage. And you didn't.

hatty

Banned
maybe she went full fee? plus, i never thought it was possible that EAS would give u 10 extra points like that.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
No need for that in here...
Sorry.

Anyway, back to the original question, as others have said, EAS or additional criteria, perhaps (some courses at some uni's, if they have additional criteria, and you don't fulfil the criteria by a certain date, even if you don't know about it, you're automatically deemed to have withdrawn your application)

barbie_doll

HSC
there were no additional criteria that i was aware of.

i have been wanting to do this course for like the last 2/3 years, so i fully investigated it as well as spoke to numerous people at the uni about what i had to do to apply and all that and all i got was that you go through the usual UAC shit.

the course is the bachelor of management in leisure offered at UTS Kuring-gai campus.

just pisses me off cause i feel like i deserve it more...

barbie_doll

HSC
hatty said:
maybe she went full fee? plus, i never thought it was possible that EAS would give u 10 extra points like that.
what do you mean by full fee??

as fair as i am aware, we did exactly the same thing, like we both put our preferences in like last september...

the thing that gets me is that is was 10 points! like if it was 1 or 2 i might understand, but 10 is a HUGE amount! especially considering i was like 5 points off that cut off uai, and i wasn't even considered.

barbie_doll

HSC
sparkl3z said:
she probly used eas. did the course have prerequisites? maybe u didnt have the prerequisite and she did?
the prerequisites were that you had to have studies a minimum of any 2 units of english, and that was it. nothing else.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
How do you "deserve it more" simply because you scored a slightly higher UAI?

barbie_doll

HSC
on the uac website, this is what is says about eas...

"Most institutions participating in UAC have Educational Access Schemes (EAS) or special consideration for applicants who have experienced long-term educational disadvantage."

definately not her.

"Submit your EAS application to UAC no later than Thursday 30 September 2004"

i know she didn't put in an application if it was that long ago that they had to go in.

barbie_doll

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
How do you "deserve it more" simply because you scored a slightly higher UAI?[/QUOTE

i'm not saying that i deserve it more because i got a higher uai... it's not like that at all.

i have been doing things with my school in this field for the last few years (event management), and with the stuff i've done, i believe i deserve it more. maybe it's just that i want it more so i think i deserve it more, i just look at personal experiences when we were both in a situation where we were organising an event and she didn't handle it very well that's all.

it's not because i got a higher uai.

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
i got a full-fee offer that was a few points higher than my UAI so it's obviously possible, but maybe there was a computer stuff-up or something....

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Yes you can! I did.. I sent them in a resume and portfolio and arranged for an interview.. U CAN get in if u get below the cutoff... also in late round offers the UAIs are usually lowered

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
Isn't tat EAS gains u maximum 5pts? even full fee paying is like 5 pts.... so did ya friend show ya her offer letter or told u verbally? or did u see her name on the newspaper or anything....she can always make changes to her mainround offer till the end of 6 Jan 05...(if i remembered correctly)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
generally 5, but dusnt uts give 7-10 points or sumthin? u also need a uai of 65 or more

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Canberra Uni and CSU gove you up to 10 points more.. my friend got 10 points cos of all the bushfires (hes from canberra)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)