can we disagree with the question / stimulus in Mod C ? (1 Viewer)

uniqueusername1

HSC
My friend did it and he got destroyed. Depends on how you disagree with the question and what text type your doing. If its a creative then no.

For example, if the q is: Cats are the best animals.

Do not say cats are not the best animal but, instead dogs are because dogs (ok I know cats can too) can jump etc... -> continues to talk about why dogs are good instead of the q

Thats like saying you don't like the q and you are making your own up. Idk if that makes sense lol.

icycledough

HSC
I believe that is called devil's advocate, and it definitely has both advantages and disadvantages.

Pros

• Makes your essay unique
  • Markers won't expect it
  • Making your own thesis
  • Your ideas will be more complex
  • You show a greater, wholistic understanding of the text

HOWEVER, you need to have practiced it a lot (so starting now will probably be too late) and get feedback on it to see if you are approaching it the right way, as it can also ruin you (as mentioned above), if not done correctly.

zizi2003_

HSC
true true, i agree with you both
but basically i read this B6 discursive (for the 2019 mod c q) and it went on about how reading does not evoke a transformation at all times and that reading is instead done for the purpose of entertainment
the person was clearly refuting the question itself??

icycledough

HSC
but basically i read this B6 discursive (for the 2019 mod c q) and it went on about how reading does not evoke a transformation at all times and that reading is instead done for the purpose of entertainment
Well, if it's a Band 6, then I guess it answers your own question. You can do so, but it's quite complex to do so properly and efficiently, so I would recommend stick to the norm, UNLESS you are confident in doing so.

uniqueusername1

HSC
See you can partially disagree but, do not fully disagree.

zizi2003_

HSC
ahhhh that explains it then
ill probs just not express my 'insights' and agree with the q to be safe lolol
eng teachers are such paradoxes ngl, they want you to show your own interpretation but at the same time dont

uniqueusername1

HSC
ahhhh that explains it then
ill probs just not express my 'insights' and agree with the q to be safe lolol
eng teachers are such paradoxes ngl, they want you to show your own interpretation but at the same time dont
yea their such characters. They can't make up their minds.

icycledough

HSC
I do also think partially disagreeing can cause an issue, as it looks like you are kind of fence-sitting without strongly portraying your opinion. In my opinion, it sounds right to strictly choose a side and back it up with logical arguments and ideas, but I may be wrong here.

uniqueusername1

HSC
I do also think partially disagreeing can cause an issue, as it looks like you are kind of fence-sitting without strongly portraying your opinion. In my opinion, it sounds right to strictly choose a side and back it up with logical arguments and ideas, but I may be wrong here.
true true. we can conclude that disagreeing with the q is dangerous.

zizi2003_

HSC
indeed,
basically just showing your insights and opinion in english is wrong
:)

icycledough

HSC
To be safe, I'd definitely agree with the question ... you don't need to do anything special in English to get a Band 6. Just stick by the norm and do it efficiently while showing you have a thorough understanding of your text. Definitely more potential disadvantages with devil's advocate.

zizi2003_

HSC
To be safe, I'd definitely agree with the question ... you don't need to do anything special in English to get a Band 6. Just stick by the norm and do it efficiently while showing you have a thorough understanding of your text. Definitely more potential disadvantages with devil's advocate.
do you have any general tips on writing discursives?:)

icycledough

HSC
do you have any general tips on writing discursives?:)
I'm going to be honest with you, all through last year, I didn't have a single clue on what discursives were and how they were effective. Even to this day, I don't know if it entails non-fiction, fiction, creative, factual, informative, etc. So I stayed well away on it and focused on my strength, which was imaginative pieces/creative for me. Sorry I can't help you on that.

stressedadfff

HSC
can we memorize a discursive based on one of our prescribed texts - cos if the question asks to evoke a central idea from your texts thatll be sooo shit if youre not prepared?

Wizjaro

HSC
Yes but I wouldn't recommend unless you are extremely confident in how you do it. One main issue with disagreeing is that people tend to do it when they don't like the question and attempt to make their own questions. If you do disagree you need to continuously refer back to the question itself. Also its a fun time to partially disagree especially when the question is a "To what extent question.." people seem to forget that you can somewhat agree with the question. And so "To a middling extent"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)