Can the school stop you from doing a preliminary/hsc course? (1 Viewer)

9megqyzn

HSC
I've heard that the school can't stop you, provided that they have enough people for a class and that they offer the course. Is this this true?

Can you list sources? Possibly gov/education websites.

Thanks,

9megqyzn

HSC
Thanks, but i was looking for sources more than anything. Just incase the deputy wants to be a smartarse and tell me get the fuck out.

MrBoston

HSC
no, they cant stop you. they just advise against choosing that subject.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
They can stop you from doing a HSC course in two ways, as I believe:
  • N-Award System
  • Most subjects require you to have undertaken the Preliminary course to be accepted in the HSC course
However, generally speaking, schools can only give you a recommendation based on their perception of your skill level, in regards to the particular course in question. Unless you are victim of any of the two scenarios outlined above, I highly doubt any school has the power to force its students to not take their desired course/s.

LukeGriffiths88

HSC
The school cannot officially stop you from doing a course IF they have the numbers for the class and of course if they offer the course. They can, however, advise you against taking the course if your academic results indicate that you may not be able to handle the demand of a course.

It is best in the HSC anyway to choose courses that you believe you will enjoy and do well at. This is how you get the best results. I had a friend in school who did no science or mathematics courses and received a UAI of 97. However, if they are not allowing you to do the course and you REALLY want to do it, you are within your rights to contact Board of Studies and discuss the issue. But keep the above in mind.

ALSO, if you cannot do a course because of insufficient numbers or the school not offering it - you can complete the course by correspondence, however this is not advisable.

LUKE GRIFFITHS
---------------------------
Graduated 2006
BLaws/BArts(Political Science & International Affairs) - Newcastle

Last edited:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
LukeGriffiths88 said:
The school cannot officially stop you from doing a course IF they have the numbers for the class and of course if they offer the course. They can, however, advise you against taking the course if your academic results indicate that you may not be able to handle the demand of a course.

It is best in the HSC anyway to choose courses that you believe you will enjoy and do well at. This is how you get the best results. I had a friend in school who did no science or mathematics courses and received a UAI of 97. However, if they are not allowing you to do the course and you REALLY want to do it, you are within your rights to contact Board of Studies and discuss the issue. But keep the above in mind.

ALSO, if you cannot do a course because of insufficient numbers or the school not offering it - you can complete the course by correspondence, however this is not advisable.

LUKE GRIFFITHS
---------------------------
Graduated 2006
BLaws/BArts(Political Science & International Affairs) - Newcastle
thanks. Thats my situation btw. I really want to do a course and my teacher recommends it, but the head teacher dislikes the idea of me doing a course with a C grade. I really want to do the course. I really really really want to. Its the only course I really want to do at the moment and the course I'll actually be looking forward to do. Too bad I cant do it.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yes.

I've actually contacted the Board of Studies before when I was in Year 11 because I had a similar issue and they said the principals have all the power. The stupid thing in my case was that I had my own teacher's support but for some stupid reason, the head teacher and principal who know hardly anything about me, refused.

Last edited:

justxlouise

HSC
nerdsforever said:
thanks. Thats my situation btw. I really want to do a course and my teacher recommends it, but the head teacher dislikes the idea of me doing a course with a C grade. I really want to do the course. I really really really want to. Its the only course I really want to do at the moment and the course I'll actually be looking forward to do. Too bad I cant do it.
And I believe you are talking about English. It's not because you were graded a C for English, but mainly due to your rank. The cut off rank is 72 since they have 3 classes of 24 students. Even if the school really is stopping us, that's because they don't recommend us to do it. If you really want to do something but you're being stopped by the head teacher, you can appeal to the principal or BOS.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
They recommended for me to not take Advanced English [I picked it in subject selection], so they put me in Standard English. When I saw standard english in my timetable, I was quite aggravated. I even beat a friend of mine in the SC, and he got into Advanced while I didn't. I had a discussion with the head teacher, and he said that he'd switch me to Advanced, giving me this SHIT advice about the course that was not necessary. Now I'm owning Advanced and my current English teacher for Advanced recommends me to keep it for the HSC.

They shouldn't stop you from doing a prelim course, but from my experience, they can purposely switch you to another course.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
The school shouldn't stop you from doing a course, but heaps of schools do.
However in saying that, schools aren't always correct in choosing the best subjects for you. My school told me to do Extension English and Studies of Religion II, I've ended up dropping both of them. So like yeah, if you feel like you really want to do a subject, then talk to your school about it and if that doesnt work out, get your parents to talk to the school.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
They recommended for me to not take Advanced English [I picked it in subject selection], so they put me in Standard English. When I saw standard english in my timetable, I was quite aggravated. I even beat a friend of mine in the SC, and he got into Advanced while I didn't. I had a discussion with the head teacher, and he said that he'd switch me to Advanced, giving me this SHIT advice about the course that was not necessary. Now I'm owning Advanced and my current English teacher for Advanced recommends me to keep it for the HSC.

They shouldn't stop you from doing a prelim course, but from my experience, they can purposely switch you to another course.
Wow. Your schools seems so nice. They can switch you after the SC. Too bad my school's not like that

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The teachers are usually right about recommending advice on what course you do. You either make the requirements or you don't but there are the odd few which the teachers are unsure about... which were a few of you. If you are really passionate about it and think you can apply yourself then I don't think the teachers have the right to stop you from doing anything.

If you suck at the more advanced course then you will drop it yourself (makes sense to me that way).

HSC
Aquawhite said:
The teachers are usually right about recommending advice on what course you do. You either make the requirements or you don't but there are the odd few which the teachers are unsure about... which were a few of you. If you are really passionate about it and think you can apply yourself then I don't think the teachers have the right to stop you from doing anything.

If you suck at the more advanced course then you will drop it yourself (makes sense to me that way).
there are usually no requirements..

unless there is a quota for the maximum number of students allowed for a particular course because of a lack of teachersin that field..

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:

unless there is a quota for the maximum number of students allowed for a particular course because of a lack of teachers in that field..
The requirements as in the outcomes required and assessments and assignments. Satisfactory work ethic and completion of assessments/homework. The teachers should know you quite well if they teach you. That's why they are quite knowledgeable when in comes to giving advice about courses....

If you disagree then you don't have to take their advice. If the teacher doesn't get along with you then of course I wouldn't believe them.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:
The requirements as in the outcomes required and assessments and assignments. Satisfactory work ethic and completion of assessments/homework. The teachers should know you quite well if they teach you. That's why they are quite knowledgeable when in comes to giving advice about courses....

If you disagree then you don't have to take their advice. If the teacher doesn't get along with you then of course I wouldn't believe them.
true.

usually - yes

but in some schools - there are requirements

HSC
umm..didnt i say there are usually no requirements?

and im not aware that work ethics and completion of homework/assignments can allow a school to stop you from doing a particular course..

of course what your saying about you should follow the teacher's advice because after a year (or more) of teaching you, they would know what your capable of..

Last edited:
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Geez.... stop bitching!
im just correcting..

you have to realise that you arent always right..

i think your having trouble to come to terms with that..

i was mistakenly corrected..so i corrected..

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:
im just correcting..

you have to realise that you arent always right..

i think your having trouble to come to terms with that..

i was mistakenly corrected..so i corrected..
Where did I mistakenly correct you? I try my hardest not to. And I definitely know that I am not always right... I don't expect to be and don't like to be told that I think I know everything... I know I don't.

I don't see the point in arguing with someone I don't know so I'm going to stop the rebuttals back and forth.

HSC
Aquawhite said:
Where did I mistakenly correct you? I try my hardest not to. And I definitely know that I am not always right... I don't expect to be and don't like to be told that I think I know everything... I know I don't.

I don't see the point in arguing with someone I don't know so I'm going to stop the rebuttals back and forth.
you're really narrow-minded. you said stop bitching to me when i was correcting a statement made by another person.

how about we just forget this..we usually get on well in other threads..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)