Can students finish uni faster than the determined time? (1 Viewer)

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Can we finish uni faster than the determined time in the UAC book?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Don't know about other uni's, but here a 3 year degree is 24 courses, full-time load is 4 courses per semester, max you can do without appeal is 5 subjects per semester. Impossible to complete in less than 3 years.

You wouldn't be able to timetable that many courses. Even with 4 courses, lectures clash sometimes.

Also, uni is hard.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
At USyd (in particular for combined degrees) you're allowed to overload in study units for intermediate and senior years (but this does not change the maximum number of units you're allowed to do).

Assuming you get good marks in first year, you can ask for permission to do one extra subject each semester than normal. Assuming you get good marks and permission granted each time, this allows you to get through your degree in a slightly shorter timespan at the price of doing an extra unit per semester.

Also, for a select few units of study, they offer Summer School, and you can complete (i.e. cram) a unit of study during the summer holidays.

This should at most save you one semester in your degree...lol :D

In particular for maths students, if you're good enough to do Talented Students Program in a Science degree, you can do second and third year maths subjects in first year etc...

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
The situation at Usyd is: we have summer and winter school, where you can do units (from a limited selection) over the holidays to get your degree done quicker. It's only available full-fee, though. You can also overload to do five subjects per semester rather than four, but it's a heavy workload, so most people only do it if they need to make up a failed unit, rather than just doing it so as to finish quicker.

HSC
most unis won't let you do it. i know at uow they don't.

i *heard* they do that at uws

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)