Can someone tell me the difference between BioMed and BioTech?? (1 Viewer)

ali777

HSC
I must be missing something really obvious here....ive looked at the UAC guide & the online info and i cant figure out the difference between Biomedical Science and Biotechnology, except the 18 point UAI difference!

I'm really interested in genetic engineering & biomedical research, however both of these courses seem to be heading in that general direction. I haven't studied chemistry or physics but i think i can handle doing the bridging courses if i choose one of these degrees.

Can you un-confuse me?! What's the gist of each course? Is one more practical or more theory based? Do you know why there's such a big difference in UAI's? (Biomed - 93, Biotech - 75)

Thanks heaps :)

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
my understanding is this:

Biotech studies plants and animals. Biomed studies humans.

If ur interested in Medicine, human health etc. then do biomed.
if ur interested in any sort of biological research, eg: crop manipulation, drug and insecticide production etc. then do biotech.

a fair few kids who wanted to do medicine but failed UMAT do biomed instead.

EDIT: Biomed also requires that you do a harder maths course. You do introductory chemistry (like biotech) and introductory physics (like biotech). From then on, you do human bioscience subjects. Biotech kids do biology and chemistry courses.

Last edited:

ali777

HSC
yay thankyou! that helps a lot. cos im pretty sure my careers teacher is useless. from what you've said i'd probably prefer to do biomed, but i'll put biotech second just incase i dont get a UAI over 90 :p

Ali

moz

Med Student
HSC
don't forget if your from anywhere north of Sydney then u get the 4 bonus points for Newy, so 93 becomes 89 :-D

ali777

HSC
yep im keeping my 4 extra points up my sleeve...however if i got in on my extra points i might not be able to keep up with the course! but we'll see.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
ali777 said:
I'm really interested in genetic engineering & biomedical research...
You'll probably need to decide which one of those interests you more. I've done seven of the courses studied in Biotechnology, and apart from CHEM1001 and CHEM1002, the remaining Biology subjects focused heavily on genetic engineering.

Don't be fooled by the lowered cut-off, I know several Biotechnology third year students and they are pretty much stressed 24/7. But of course, just looking at the subjects you'd need to complete for Biomedical Science scares me, so my advice is to ignore the cut-offs entirely and go for whichever courses sound more appealing to you.

Biotechnology: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/program/10981.html
Biomedical Science: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/program/10986.html

aussiechica7

HSC
hey
i do biomed and its pretty cool. if u haven't done chem/physics it might b a bit difficult, but u def can do it. don't worry about cutoffs, that's more based on demand than anything (and also the fact that so many med hopefuls go for biomed if their umat/interviews suck).
in 1st yr u have 6 subjects u have 2 do, then u can pick between either maths and physics OR psych 1 and psych 2. so if u really hate phys/maths, u could take psych. however, if i were u i'd take physics/maths just 2 get that background knowledge, that may eventually prove helpful. physics would b really helpful, the maths course not so much. i knew a lot of ppl who took physics 1st semester then transfered into psych 2nd semester, or vice versa. ur not supposed 2 do that but u can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)