Can someone tell me how UAC pick our best 10 units? (1 Viewer)

sleepycat

Every teacher is telling different versions of how BOS pick our 10 units.... but all of them seem a bit un reliable. well.... Can someone explain to me??

Is it the top 10 units marks that u achieved? or is it something else? :confused:

P.S Is it possible that 4u Maths (with a mark around 60s) would be too low to be counted in ur UAI??:(

:apig:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Is scaling/difficulty in the subject taken in to account when choosing the top ten?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UAC calculates your UAI from the aggregate of the 10 units for which u have the best scaled marks

sleepycat

Originally posted by natstar
umm basically its to best 10 units u actuallly do well in.
IE- if u do these subjects for example
-English-80
-Maths-84
-Chem-79
-Art-90
-Business-89
-Ancient Hist-75

Ancient History would not count in the calculation of the UAI
but wat happens if i get

standard english 75 (do i need to get into 80s to be not scaled down??)
2u maths... not sure around mid 90s
3u maths 85
4u maths 60 (my teacher is so crap that i have to rely on my tutor to teach me .... which is a bit demanding..)
Jap 80 (well gonna get better)
ext Jap.. dun have a mark yet... :confused: I didnt have any assessments until my 1/2 yrli were over. probabli could get around 80s
econ 75 (i dun its a bit shit... but i am catching up)
business studies 85

Would my 4u maths drag me down.... Should i drop 4u?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by sleepycat
Would my 4u maths drag me down.... Should i drop 4u?
Probably not. 60 will get scaled up. If you are talking about scaled marks however, then yes.

PS: If you do 4U maths YOU DON"T GET A 2U MATHS MARK. No automatic 100, no test, nothing. YOU DO NOT TAKE 2U MATHS.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Originally posted by natstar
umm basically its to best 10 units u actuallly do well in.
IE- if u do these subjects for example
-English-80
-Maths-84
-Chem-79
-Art-90
-Business-89
-Ancient Hist-75

Ancient History would not count in the calculation of the UAI
nooo that's not it

You will view your hsc marks the day b4 u get ur uai, (they are an average of ur scaled internal and hsc exam marks).
UAC will then scale these again, because 90% in visual arts cant compare with 89% in business on the same scale. So all those marks will get rescaled by UAC, and then the lowest of those will be excluded.

Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Is scaling/difficulty in the subject taken in to account when choosing the top ten?
Yes. eg. 90% in 4u maths vs 90% in business studies

Last edited:

sleepycat

Originally posted by McLake
Probably not. 60 will get scaled up. If you are talking about scaled marks however, then yes.

PS: If you do 4U maths YOU DON"T GET A 2U MATHS MARK. No automatic 100, no test, nothing. YOU DO NOT TAKE 2U MATHS.
the 60 is just my raw mark from the 1/2 yrlis...

so is it worth taking 4u maths??:confused:

sleepycat

Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
nooo that's not it
You will view your hsc marks the day b4 u get ur uai, (they are an average of ur scaled internal and hsc exam marks).
UAC will then scale these again, because 90% in visual arts cant compare with 89% in business on the same scale. So all those marks will get rescaled by UAC, and then the lowest of those will be excluded.
Yes. eg. 90% in 4u maths vs 90% in business studies
i am just wondering... is it worth getting
1) if i stay in 4u
high 70s- 80s for 4u (after scaled) and 90s in 3u..

2) if i drop 4u
90s for both 3u and 2u

I am struggling to decide with one is better... .. plz give me some suggestions...

also... does coming last in my class drag my UAI down coz' UAI is based on ranking???

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
and 2 units of english have to count to UAI.. so its ur best 8 units plus 2 of english..

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
the 60 is just my raw mark from the 1/2 yrlis...

so is it worth taking 4u maths??:confused:
I would say so, but only if you like maths (ie: don't do it for the marks) ...

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
60 raw in 4u was the norm at my school. Highest would get around 80, and lowest around 30-40. I reckon 60 raw gets scaled to around 90. However, what worries me is you're saying your last in the class. What school do you go to? And what's the average 4u mark of your class?
It's hard for us to judge your ability. You should really ask your maths teacher on what he/she thinks based on past experience.

sleepycat

well... some non selective school in the Hills District...the highest mark is 90s... that guy.... decided to change to my school from some realli top private school... which is kinda a pain coz' the class average is always so high.... :S awwww.... probabli my 60% is not realli that good... coz' my teacher sets realli easy tests.... my class average is around em... 70s-80s..

Last edited:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
oh...
well if you put it that way, it's not looking good. 4u gets scaled, but only if you show that u deserve it. A friend of mine was 3rd last in 4u at Sydney Boys. He thought he's be scaled, but he ended up with 61% overall after scaling.
I think the only place where ppl get scaled is james ruse. Their motto is fai together, scaled together. =p

I think your next step is to talk to your maths teacher. If you think you can get 90s in 2u and 3u, that may be a better option.

sleepycat

Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
oh...
A friend of mine was 3rd last in 4u at Sydney Boys. He thought he's be scaled, but he ended up with 61% overall after scaling.
is the 61% is mark after scaling and etc?? or is it the raw mark? doesn't that scale up to 90s?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
is the 61% is mark after scaling and etc?? or is it the raw mark? doesn't that scale up to 90s?
the 61 he's talking about is the aligned mark u get, not the scaled mark UAC uses to determine your UAI

sleepycat

Originally posted by Minai
the 61 he's talking about is the aligned mark u get, not the scaled mark UAC uses to determine your UAI
so is that BAD? or good?? :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)