can someone please explain this to me...? (1 Viewer)

patty4848

HSC
My rank for advanced english is currently 19/160. i go to a selective school ranked 27th, and as a general guide in our school, roughly the top 30-35 people get a band 6 in adv. english in the hsc. but my question is... if i get a raw mark of 80 or so in the actual hsc exam, does my rank even help me whatsoever? or do i just get a scaled 80 mark? i don't understand, please help
<!-- / message -->

micky131

HSC
patty4848 said:
My rank for advanced english is currently 19/160. i go to a selective school ranked 27th, and as a general guide in our school, roughly the top 30-35 people get a band 6 in adv. english in the hsc. but my question is... if i get a raw mark of 80 or so in the actual hsc exam, does my rank even help me whatsoever? or do i just get a scaled 80 mark? i don't understand, please help
<!-- / message -->
from what i understand you ranking is important because if say for example there are 3 people

1. john
2. bob
3. anne

and thats there rankings

and the raw marks read
1. john = 95
2. bob = 85
3. anne= 80

and in the exam the marks go

1. anne= 90
2. john = 85
3. bob = 75

well when the calculate it

because john came first in rank he should recieve the 1st exam mark (anns)

soo...

john = 90 +90/2

and bob being second in ranking will get the second mark...

thats how my maths teacher explained it ...but there are a lot of other factors such as how the rest of the state goes against your school etc....i wouldnt have a clue how to explain that sorry

but i hope that clarifies things a lil

patty4848

HSC
micky131 said:
from what i understand you ranking is important because if say for example there are 3 people

1. john
2. bob
3. anne

and thats there rankings

and the raw marks read
1. john = 95
2. bob = 85
3. anne= 80

and in the exam the marks go

1. anne= 90
2. john = 85
3. bob = 75

well when the calculate it

because john came first in rank he should recieve the 1st exam mark (anns)

soo...

john = 90 +90/2

and bob being second in ranking will get the second mark...

thats how my maths teacher explained it ...but there are a lot of other factors such as how the rest of the state goes against your school etc....i wouldnt have a clue how to explain that sorry

but i hope that clarifies things a lil
so despite the fact that if i got a raw mark of 80, and lets just the 19th highest mark (after everything is done) is say... 90.. then i could still get 90?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)