Can someone please explain this Question?? Stuck on understanding it (1 Viewer)

Jaguar33

HSC
“Explore how time and place are used in the prescribed speeches to shape the audience’s understanding of how knowledge of the past sheds light on the present”

Prescribed speeches are Anwar Sadat a speech to the knesset, Noel Pearson - An Australian history, Doris lessing 'on not winning the nobel prize' and Paul Keatings Redfern speech

Last edited:

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
“Explore how time and place are used in the prescribed speeches to shape the audience’s understanding of how knowledge of the past sheds light on the present”
I haven't done your texts so i can't exactly give explicit information on it, sorry

Basically, you have to talk about how the setting in your prescribed text gives you insight into the past, allowing you to analyse the integrity of that concept in the present. So for example, say your text is Macbeth. You analyse that the unchecked ambition of Macbeth led to his downfall, thus it can be concluded Shakespeare's character is a euphemism to highlight the corrupting power of unchecked ambition. You then state that this presents an insight into the modern day setting as it satirises political ambition and/or denounces tyranny, which sheds light on the conceptual integrity of ambition.

So just basically talk about how a concept back in the contemporary setting gives insight into the modern day setting.
Hope that helped :)

Last edited:

Chris_S

HSC
Well I am pretty sure they are asking about the contexts of the speeches and how they impact on the audience's understanding of knowledge of the past sheds light onto the present. Well like in Keating's and Pearson's speech they both touch on sensitive parts of the audience's emotions as involving the importance of acknowledging the past of the mistreatment and dispossession of the indigenous Australians. This then hopefully ignites a passion for reconciliation in the audience and progress as a nation. Also as Pearson is indigenous, the impact of the speech is hence amplified as he is representing the affected and in Keating's he delivers it to a dense Indigenous audience in Redfern, which therefore the speech would've been well received. This is just off the top of my head and haven't completed all the speeches as yet, and if I am wrong please say so as I would like to know! Cheers :)

Rochele

HSC
Basically,

Lets just use Lessing's speech as an example.

The question is asking you to explore how the concepts of time: the way she shifts between time periods in her speech and place: from Africa to the western world. How these aspects help understand how knowledge from the past; i.e: her experiences in the past in Africa as she lived there for a little bit, how that influences her now in the present world with her seeing how the western world functions today.

Further deconstructed and simplified:
How do the speeches help people understand how knowledge can influence someone or something now (present day).

If that didn't make sense, post back!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)