Can someone please explain ethnocentric, polycentric geocentric (1 Viewer)

bradwow

HSC
Diff bw Polycentric and Ethnocentric

I'm so confused.

Okay say I'm a Japanese company and I want to operate in Australia.

If I use Japanese employees that means its _______

If I use Australian employees that means its ______

I understand Geocentric is best possible person regardless of country, and that most companies use a mix but yeah

Thanks for your help...

Katie-

HSC
Re: Diff bw Polycentric and Ethnocentric

Polycentric is from the HOST country, Ethnocentric is from the HOME country.

Therefor

If I use Japanese employees that means its polycentric
If I use Australian employees that means its ethnocentric

bazookie

HSC

you forgot to mention something about polycentric.

polycentric is when home country employees fill key roles at headquarters but host country employees fill all other positions... =]

kesh1

HSC
N/A

Is that the right way around?
Japanese country operating in Aus.
using Japanese employees = ethnocentric

davOmeter

HSC

Yeah, it should be the other way around as kesh1 said, man that confused me for a sec.

chriskoss

HSC
I read this somewhere before in relation to Ikea

Can't find it in my textbook, is it something to do with E.R or something else?

Please explain all 3

HSC
ethnocentric - home company employees fill all key positions/manage overseas subsidiaries

polycentric - host country nationals manage subsidiares but home company employees fill key positions

geocentric - the right person from the job selected regardless of nationality

it's about staffing systems in global ER.

lizac

HSC
Ethnocentric Staffing System
Is one: where managers from a businesses home country fill top management positions. It is rarely used; however in the past it was considered the best, as there was a shortage of highly skilled workers in developing countries. It was also considered important to export the culture of a business through managers trained in the home country. Staffing can be expensive because of the relocation of staff.
Polycentric Staffing System
Where key managerial appointments are made from the host country. The major advantage of this system is that the managers have a good understanding of the diverse needs of their customers. The biggest problem is to endure a business’s corporate culture is effectively integrated into the business
Geocentric Staffing System
A geocentric staffing system is one where the best available people are employed regardless of their nationality. Most common for large global companies. The main reason for this happening is because managers have been effectively trained in adapting to particular business cultures and are also trained in changing a businesses culture

magik22

HSC
Ethnocentric, polycentric and geocentric are types of staffings systems.

1.Ethnocentric is hardly ever used because it only involves employing employees from the main head office to the company's other subsidiaries. e.g. 'X' is the home office, and it provides employees to other subsidiaries 'Y', 'Z' etc.

2.Polycentric is the opposite of ethnocentric. Employees are only hired in the countries where the subsidiaries are located. Head office in home country doesn't send their staff over.

3. Geocentric is what's used today. It's pretty much a mix of Ethnocentric and polycentric. This makes sense doesn't it? Think about how some people move overseas with their families because of work.

Hope that helps. Just a basic summary.

Aryanto

HSC
Ethnocentric, Polycentric and Geocentric are a global business's staffing system.

Ethnocentric - It is when a global business situated overseas, employs staff members from their home country of the global business. However, this maybe an ineffecient staffing system as the employed staff will incur high financial costs to the global business as they have to pay for the transfer costs of the staff from the home country to overseas and the staff's living expenses (e.g Rent for their new home) also this could bring effenciency to the business if the new staff is not able to fit in and be culturally compatible in his/her newly situated location.

Example: If Commonwealth Bank Australia decides to set up their operations in China. They would employ Australian staff from their branches in Australia and pay them extra monetary benefits for them to move to China and work in the new business location.

Polycentric - It is when a global business situated overseas, employs staff from the new area but only for lower positions within the organizational structure such as line manager and operational staff. Positions of high position such as Senior management will be employed from the home country of the business. This would benefit the business as the employees from the area of expansion would provide the business with knowledge of the culture and protocols of the newly expanded area.

Example: If Commonwealth Bank Australia decides to expand into China, they would employ staff from the China Labour Force to fill out positions at the lower end of the heirachical structure and bring Australian Staff from Australia

Geocentric- It is when the business employs the best person for the job regardless of ethnicity and place of residence.

bchang100

HSC
Polycentric - It is when a global business situated overseas, employs staff from the new area but only for lower positions within the organizational structure such as line manager and operational staff. Positions of high position such as Senior management will be employed from the home country of the business. This would benefit the business as the employees from the area of expansion would provide the business with knowledge of the culture and protocols of the newly expanded area.

Example: If Commonwealth Bank Australia decides to expand into China, they would employ staff from the China Labour Force to fill out positions at the lower end of the heirachical structure and bring Australian Staff from Australia

I DONT GET IT!!!! ur saying in ethno home country nationals are sent over to host country right but thats coslty to relocate HOWEVER in
polycentric u still have to relocate staff to fill Higher positions:S
so ethno and poly both have to send staff over to host country

!!!!
please explain fast business hsc is nexxt tuesday

dontworry

HSC
Everyones just looking into it wayyy to much!! back to the initial example.. it ends up being
..if i use Japanese employees that means its ethnocentric
..if i use Australian employees that means its polycentric

nou

HSC
Re: Can someone explain what's meaning of MNC???

cuktural diff may enforce MNC

mrlevendi

MR Levendi
HSC
does anyone have an IKEA case study or report or whatever lol. i just really need something to do with IKEA.

Anyhelp much appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)