• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can someone please answer this: (1 Viewer)

BowDown2

HSC
N/A

The answer is D.

How do you get this??? I have asked my teacher and my whole class. They all say its easy but I don't understand this relationship thing.

Can someone please explain it to me?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Well, one-to-many means that one record in one table is linked to many records in another table. Each customer can make many transactions, but each transaction is only linked with one customer.

Many-to-one means that there are several records linked to one record. For any one video in the store, it can be borrowed in many different transactions. However, each transaction only borrows one video. Also, there can be multiple copies of a movie, but each video is only one movie.

dalillebpwinces

HSC
N/A
OMGGGG WOOooHOooo
i suk at ipt and i got dis one! !!!!!!
lol i cant believe it !!! lisn you hav to think of it one to many is like.......theres onli 1 video but can be borrowd many times...think of it like that the video may have one id but in another table itll b there more than once coz its been burrowd more than once ,,,,one to many.... lol if u don get it then sit and stare at the question a bit bettr coz i got it in about 10 seconds it reali isnt a hard question...

:worried: i hate IPT!
and i made a big mistake gettin into it! im good at it n everythin but eww! i neva wanna have to think about routers and schema's in the future!:eek:

good luk pplz :)
peace...
Mona.

HSC
I lol'd.

First Column

Customers table contains customers, only one record per customer.

Transactions table contains transactions. There is no limit on transactions - think in the shop, you can borrow lots of things, many times. But there is only one of you.

So it's a one-to-many relationship, since there is only one of you, but there is no specified limit to how many transactions (ie. borrowings as as simplification) you can make.

Second Column

Ok, so you have videos and transactions. Now you have individual videos, which will be borrowed over and over by different or the same customers. The point is, any one video will be involved in many transactions over time.

This is why there are many transactions for every one video.
Hence a many-to-one relationship between transactions and videos.

Third Column

Video shops always buy many copies of one movie, so they don't run out. For example, when 300 comes in, and there are 3000 people whom want to rent it :p

Anyway, 300 is just one (awesome) movie, but the store might have like 50 copies of it. So there are 50 videos and 1 movie.

Hence a many to one relationship between videos and movies.

Does that make sense? Because if it does, Me > Ajd, officially :D

BowDown2

HSC
N/A
Ok. I still don't get it. What about this one:

The answer is B.

I went A because I didn't know it mattered which word the relationship connected to!

jirwin

HSC
you basically answered the question then. the relationship has to be connected to the same table. hence why u got it wrong. in terms of the many to one or one to many:

1. One-to-Many: there are many Movie_IDs because several videos cannot have the same id otherwise they can not be identified. however its only one as the videos are all of the same movie (see previous posts) therefore 1 movie NAME to many move ID.

2. Many-to-one: there are a lot of members of the video shop but a person can only have one member account therefore a lot of member IDs but a single ID can only be linked to one Name.

hope i helped a bit.
i didn't understand this stuff last yr but now i do :(

Macca58

HSC
Is this year 11 or year 12 IPT cos im in year 11 and have no idea how to answer that either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)