Can someone please answer this question. (1 Viewer)

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Assess the efficeinecy and the effectiveness of the NSW jury system in achieving justice.

Just the setting out of this question and how to answer legal studies essays is beyond me. :/

WBD

Bastard_Child

HSC
Hey I only have a minute so this will be very very quick.
Basically you need to firstly explore what the Jury system is/does and therefore its positive and negative aspects. Then you need to explore the effectivness in terms of society and the individual in a variety of areas (including protection of civil and political rights, access, opportunity for appeal and review) - these can be found in the syllabus.
Remember to quote common law and statues!
Good Luck....If I have time ill be back to help out properly but have a go.
Cheers

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
Talk about the:
Criminal Law JS - Guilty upon Unanimous vote (looking at changing it to a majority vote of some sort) - "Beyond reasonable doubt" therefore if they have any doubt they have to vote not guilty
Civil - 50%+1, beyond balance of probabilities or not guilty.

May wish to mention the bilal skaf case - Got a retrial because two jurors went and inspected the greenacre toilets were the incident occured (MEANT TO BE IMPARTIAL AND NOT KNOW ANYTHIN PRIOR)

Do juries get convictions? ---> In rape cases no (only 1% of cases result in a conviction) for other crimes yes.

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
For a legal essay:

Look at the descriptors at the front and find out what they want you to do (eg Assess)

Its more a report than an essay - headings, diagrams, tables, graphs etc in it.

Start Simple - have an intro, then define the key topic of your essay (eg Juries)

Use plenty of CMLD (Case, Media, Legislation, Documentation)

Intro - Body - Conclusion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)