Can someone explain surfing competitions for me? (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Did anyone go to the recent RipCurl @ Bells/JanJuc?

Anyway I just wanted to know how they allocate and score points in surfing competitions, and how they decide put which two competitors against each other, and how the two competitors compete in a heat.

It's not like a tennis match where you can see the two competitors compete directly with each other.

klara17

HSC
you score points of the difficulty of the wave
and the tricks you perform.
like if you drop in early on a wave, your starting value is like 2
but if you drop in late you go to like a 3.5.
so your 360's score higher than the cut backs.
Barrells are usually the highest scoring.
Kelly Slater at last year at Teahpoo scored like two 10's
(which is the higest) both of barrels
but hes like the only man in the world that could
possibly do that

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Cool thanks. So is it common strategy for competitors to drop in late for the extra points?
What exactly determines the difficulty of a particular wave in a particular heat? Are differences when scoring for smaller wave heats as compared with the bigger ones like at at waimea and the pipe? How do two surfers 'compete' with each other in the heat? Do they put pressure on each other to catch more waves and/or surf better on whatever wave they catch?

Yeah I know about Kelly Slater and his perfect 10s. That's probably the start of why I want to find out more about how they score the heats.

HSC
there is different criteria for every different break. for some waves to judges want to see aerials and stuff, others heap of cutbacks, rollers (top turn) and stuff, and waves like teahupoo a good barrel will get ya 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)