Can school prevent you from doing a subject? (1 Viewer)

tryhard1232

HSC
In the subject selection, I chose Standard English as my teacher said it would be better off to choose standard if concentrating on Math based subjects. One of the best achievers in our grade chose standard & the scaling was the same so I was like "why not?" Later, I wanted to switch to Advanced as I heard Standard had horrible aligning and it was known as an ATAR killer. But, then the English coordinator "advised" me to stick with standard and that advanced was only for the top 10% (wtf. Think she was referring to Ext 1 haha).

My question is, can the school actually prevent you or do they just "advise" against?

PS. My other subjects choices were (just incase you're wondering)

Mathematics + Ext 1 (3u)
Chemistry
Physics
Modern History
Studies of Religion 1 (compulsory)

I am planning to achieve well in the yearlies then ask again to switch.

Last edited:

hjed

HSC
You can't move up a subject after prelim because you won't meet the hours requirements, etc

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
schools have no right to forcefully deny you from taking a subject, the only way that you cannot be offered your preference of subject is if the school does not offer it completely. Like most schools do not offer studies of religion II. But for example in your case you want to do advanced and the teacher is 'advising' you not to, they have no right to prevent you from undertaking it. they are just merely saying that you are better off with standard as it within your capabilities. But in the end if you want advance you tell the teacher but if they still refuse, contact parents/deputy and have a meeting with the teacher

NWO

HSC
They tried that at our school lol. "You're better with Standard." Thus, 60 people dropped lol. Sad teachers cant teach for sh. I had this one for advanced before, coulndt even teach. Does teach u the basics and expects u to write like a pro.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They can prevent you if the class into which you wish to move is full.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)