can one u explain something to me? (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
okies, i jus startd hsc course this week, and i was just wonderin why a stalemate occured in 1914 and the reasons for it. i looked through the notes in the resources, but i barely understand of it >< ifs its possible can any of u guys give a brief, but informative and simple explanation and reasons for it ? thx in advance.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
okies, i jus startd hsc course this week, and i was just wonderin why a stalemate occured in 1914 and the reasons for it. i looked through the notes in the resources, but i barely understand of it >< ifs its possible can any of u guys give a brief, but informative and simple explanation and reasons for it ? thx in advance.
look your teacher will go through it - failure of schlieffen plan; the invasion of Belgium brought Britain into the war, Battle of the Marne - the Allies managed to force the Germans back but did not follow them fast enough - so the Germans dug trenches, the Allies followed suit, there was a race to the sea which meant the trenches eventually stretched from netural territory to the English channel - I haven't got time, don't panic your exams are ages away

jdrockefeller

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
There was no stalemate...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
jdrockefeller said:
There was no stalemate...
look u wana act like a smart arse den dunt answer at all. why dont u act liek an arrogant fuk towards me in real life? den we'll see whos talkin?

jennylim

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
i will answer because it is revision.

1. failure of generals to accommodate for modern, industrialised warfare. eg: haig thought he could still use cavalry. that sort of thing. this led to their failure to use novel tactics and technology and thereby break the stalemate.
  2. Failure of Schlieffen/Plan XVII. Particularly Schlieffen, as it brought Britain into the war (because they went through Belgium - thereby equalising the sides), the adjustments meant that they couldn't get the "swinging gate" and capture Paris, and it also relied on speed (unrealistically - shown by swift Russian mobilisation)
  3. Development of trench warfare after Marne: this meant that defending was easier than attacking and that any offensive was likely to fail.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I have one thing to contest:

Jennylim said:
failure of generals to accommodate for modern, industrialised warfare. eg: haig thought he could still use cavalry. that sort of thing. this led to their failure to use novel tactics and technology and thereby break the stalemate.
Even when they accomodated to 'modern' warfare there were still significant problems with mobilisation - churning of land due to artillery, lack of an efficient railway, etc.

fugazi

HSC
The failure of the Schlieffen plan.
Strength of the British army, preventing Germany from arcing around Paris.
Failure of offensive strategies, which claimed previous Prussian victories. A swift, decisive offensive based on force was outbalanced by defensive strategies. For example, an isolated machine gun could overwhelm an entire infantry. Trench warfare, etc.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Failure of Schlieffen Plan
Supply problems for German Army
Generals used old tactics, did not improve them.
Trench warfare favoured the defensive side.

jdrockefeller

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
look u wana act like a smart arse den dunt answer at all. why dont u act liek an arrogant fuk towards me in real life? den we'll see whos talkin?
There was a stalemate?

Haha. A hundred odd kilometre's of fibre optic cabling makes you ever so tough.Lol. I can't believe this, I'm taunting some Year 11 kid, who struggles to string together a coherent sentence, over the internet. I rule.

rama_v

HSC
Here's a heaps old essay i wrote, it gets crappier towards the end and it only mentions a few reasons but it might be helpful ;)

frog3

This is enlightening, it makes me realise i'd rather work in Macca's for the rest of my days then repeat with 'peeps whous cants spellz lolz'.

In general terms machine gun caused the stalemate. You will learn the rest later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)