Can I use the book, Nineteen Eighty-Four as Related material for Raw? (1 Viewer)

Jin-Yi

HSC
well, i'm new and i hope you guys can help me up here, so...can Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell become a related material for Raw? as in the relationship between institution and individual?

Please help me out here, i need thm all by tomorrow, or else i would have to use another one by monday. Thanks

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Jin-Yi said:
well, i'm new and i hope you guys can help me up here, so...can Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell become a related material for Raw? as in the relationship between institution and individual?

Please help me out here, i need thm all by tomorrow, or else i would have to use another one by monday. Thanks
No, as it is a prescribed text for Powerplay.

HSC
N/A
I'm going to go against the grain and say that you can (I asked this of my own teacher in 2004) however make sure you do it WELL and directly in relation to the question asked.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you have a lot of notes on it means that it'll be easier - those notes you have study the text from the perspective of a DIFFERENT module and will basically need to be largely disregarded if you're going to study it from another perspective. If there's too much crossing over/obvious cutting and pasting, then you'll be in trouble!

Jin-Yi

HSC
hm... may be i should stick to more commonly used ones like 'simple gift' or 'shawshank redemption' (eventhough if it is against my wish).
Thanks alot, guys.
oh, yeah, Hopelessly talked about that it is a prescribed text to power play part...i have no idea about that

HSC
N/A
The best thing is actually to NOT do a 'common' related text or an HSC text.

A lot of teachers say that you're not allowed to do the latter for reasons including ones I mentioned above, and you will have issues with the "common" ones because as so many people are doing it, it becomes harder to do it 'well'.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I agree with glitterfairy, you can use texts prescribed for other modules but you must do them well and in a way specific to your module as opposed to the module you took them from. However as wide reading is one of the criterion for several of the English courses (presumably also for Standard), then using a text that requires more independent research to gain notes(ie not a prescribed or a commonly used related) and succeeding in doing so will be better in the end.

Personally I studied another prescribed text alongside my main one for Journeys and I did fine, however I also never at any point used the notes available for it as regarding its original module - everything I did was 'home grown' so to speak.

helmut

HSC
in saying don't do a 'common' text, also don't do one so absurd that it takes you the entire essay to lay down what it's all about.

useful information over.

haha

you all have to do your HSC english. and i don't.

oh yeah. that felt surprisingly good to type :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)