can i still get a band 6 or even 5 for english?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
we got english adv result back today for the first task and i got 67% 😭
it was worth 25% and im really worried im screwed. I go to a top 30 ranked school.
is there any way i can pull myself up and if so what type of internal marks do i have to be getting to get a band 6 (or even 5)
if anyone has any success stories pls share im desperate

thanks,

Jos:)

HSC
What was ur rank, and how are you at English generally? is there anything you are notably lacking in?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, you definitely have a chance of making a comeback. While unfavourable performance in a task worth 25% will present a negative impact on your overall internal position, keep in mind that there is 75% worth of school-based assessment tasks/exams that is yet to be determined, which therefore gives you a great chance of improving your performance in your upcoming tasks and hopefully maximising your rank.

Jos)'s questions above are important to consider. For instance, your rank is the most important element in terms of your internal performance, and knowing your current rank is a good starting point for assessing your current position relative to your cohort. The higher your current rank, the better your current position. Conversely, the lower your current rank, the worse your current position.

Based on this, the marks that you need to achieve in your upcoming assessment tasks/exams will depend on the standard of performance that is set by the rest of your cohort. Keep in mind that the marks themselves do not matter beyond determining your rank. With that being said, at a high-ranked school, it would be reasonable to assume that you need to perform to the best of your abilities in order to ensure the best possible marks and consequently the best possible rank.

Additionally, it would be a good idea to have a look at the number of band 6's achieved in English Advanced at your school each year (which you can do on hscninja.com) as this could give you an idea as to how high you need to rank to maximise your chances of achieving an Assessment Mark in the band 6 range. The Assessment Mark contributes 50% of your final HSC mark and reflects your internal performance. Of course, the remaining 50% come from the HSC exam, and your Examination Mark will be determined according to your own performance in your English Advanced HSC exam, i.e. it is not affected by your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank. Maximising it will therefore depend on the all improvements that you make starting now and as you approach your HSC exams.

I hope this helps! 😄

HSC
What was ur rank, and how are you at English generally? is there anything you are notably lacking in?
last year i was 50/139 but idk about this year as this result is pre bad.
i am generally a B student never really got an A so im not that hopeful for a band 6 but i at least want a mid to high band 5.
well in this exam i spent way too much time on the essay (like a little bit more than an hour) leaving less than 30 mins for short response so i would say that is the main reason i couldnt perform well in short response

yanujw

HSC
if anyone has any success stories pls share im desperate
In my first assessment task, a multimodal, our school decided to weigh it at 30% (higher than trials for whatever reason which was a complete dog move). I got a very low mark compared to the rest of the grade, pretty much the same situation as you, which was extremely demotivating. Throughout the rest of the year I got marks ranging from average to higher than average and ended up with a final internal rank of 19/60. I got a final HSC internal mark of 85, and a total mark of 87, and an ATAR I'm very happy with.

You don't have to worry that much about english ranks because if you can pull yourself up to the top half of your grade by the end of the year, most internal marks received will be around the same high-end range. Focus on improving your skills for the trials and hsc and don't let this weigh you down.

I am almost certain you will get a band 5, and your chances of a band 6 are still significant. You mentioned that you go to a top 30 school, and for reference the story I shared above of my own experience occured at a school ranked much, much lower, which averages less than 5 band 6s a year. Good luck!

yozz

HSC
what was your first eng mark that you werent happy with, if u dont mind me asking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)