• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can i get above a 98+ ATAR with these subject combinations? (1 Viewer)

v.tex

HSC
Math Extension 1
Math Advanced
Earth and Environmental Science
English Advanced
Physics
Economics

I am just worried that Earth will scale me down and badly affect my ATAR..

aqwerty13402

HSC
for a 98 i would say yes. Just check what the scaling for EES caps at (if it even does cap at anything).

v.tex

HSC
for a 98 i would say yes. Just check what the scaling for EES caps at (if it even does cap at anything).
looking at earth scaling statistics it said the maximum ATAR with earth is 99.4- does this mean i can’t get any higher than this- i’m a bit confused

aqwerty13402

HSC
looking at earth scaling statistics it said the maximum ATAR with earth is 99.4- does this mean i can’t get any higher than this- i’m a bit confused
Because you are on 13 units, I think you can get higher. It means that for EES, the maximum atar contribution it can give you is 99.4. All your other subjects to my knowledge allow for 99.95, so theoretically, I think you could basically get any atar, except 99.95??? Idk the exact details, or if this makes sense. I'm def the wrong person to be explaining this.

@jimmysmith560 is the atar expert though. Hopefully he sees this and can confirm / tell u the right info.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, an ATAR of 99.95 can be achieved with any subject combination (including Earth and Environmental Science), as long as your performance across your subjects is of a sufficiently high standard. This means that the answer to OP's question is definitely yes.

Looking at previous HSC cohorts, the last time a student achieved an ATAR of 99.95 with EES as part of their subject combination was in 2010. In more recent years, the highest ATAR achieved by a student who took EES was 99.90, which was in 2018. Of course, the highest ATAR achieved by a student who took a particular subject and was part of a previous HSC cohort has no direct effect on the highest ATAR that can be achieved with that same subject in future HSC cohorts. It merely serves as a general indication of the ATARs that were historically achieved with the subject.

This data is from UAC, which publishes yearly scaling reports for each HSC cohort. These reports contain information including the highest ATAR achieved by a student who took any subject, which UAC typically refers to as "maximum ATAR" but has labelled as "maximum ATAR including the course" in its 2023 scaling report for further clarity.

I hope this helps! :D

K2Trappy

HSC
it just means the highest atar someone achieved in the previous HSC with EES was 99.4 its not a cap

pablo34

HSC
N/A
Math Extension 1
Math Advanced
Earth and Environmental Science
English Advanced
Physics
Economics

I am just worried that Earth will scale me down and badly affect my ATAR..
no you can't...its impossible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)