Can I do ext 1 maths and english and only 2 other subjects in year 12? (1 Viewer)

dom_c

HSC
It seems that the minimum amount of units in year 12 is 10 so I'm planning on doing adv and ext 1 for both maths and eng as well as economics and ipt next year (currently in year 11). It should satisfy the requirements but it seems kinda crazy the number of free periods it will grant me. I'm not even doing it for the free periods honestly, those are by far my best subjects and I'm genuinely struggling in physics and am quite disinterested in society and culture. Am I missing anything or is this actually possible and even viable?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The only perceived disadvantage of taking 10 units in year 12 is that there is no kind of backup (for example, one or two additional units) in the event that a student's performance is unfavourable in a particular subject, meaning that, in such a case, all subjects will count towards a student's ATAR, irrespective of their performance in each subject. This means that, if a student were taking more than 10 units, the effect that unfavourable performance in a particular subject would have on a student's ATAR can either be halved (if the student were taking 11 units) or completely negated (if the student were taking 12 units or more).

Of course, such an outcome is avoidable, provided you are determined to perform at a high level across your subjects and can demonstrate this throughout year 12, including being diligent in your studies, which involves regular preparation and revision in your respective subjects. This notion is supported by the high number of past HSC students who, despite the fact that they took only 10 units in year 12, were able to achieve great results, and ultimately, their desired ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)