Can i ask you something guys!! (1 Viewer)

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
I GOT 79/100 FOR MODERN HISTORY IN PRELIMINARY COURSE EXAMS,WHICH PLACE ME SECOND OUT OF TWENTY THREE PEOPLE.SO SHOULD I CHOOSE EXT HISTORY OR NO??

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Kat

Personally, my advice would be to find out what option your school does... if you feel like you will enjoy the topic, then go for it. I didn't really enjoy the topic our school was doing and struggled as a result of it.

The actual course is different from the Modern course and you have to be prepared to put the hard work in for a major project worth a huge % of you total mark.

However, DON'T do it if you don't like the historiography part of Modern. The entire extension course revolves around it.

Arch-man

If you have a passion and love for history then go for it. Any extension course in my opinion requires a passion to do.

It's a really interesting course, which, if you love history, you'll enjoy.

mullet

I love history, and I hated it. In fact, my whole class hated it. Maybe it was just the teacher, or the topic, but it was my most boring subject.

Definately check out the topic first.

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys for your feedback.But i was wondering,if i tell you the topics that are going to be in EXT History,will you be able to recommend them to me.

Thanks in advace,Raven.

purplegerbera

History Extension?

Hist Ext has got to be one of the most intersting subjests the hSC does. It's full of philosophy and things, so if you want to see your world a different way and like history, do it. I really didn't like History in Yr 11 but this year it's been great. You can use it in English a lot too. Anyway, up to you!

elfgal

Originally posted by Raven
Thanks guys for your feedback.But i was wondering,if i tell you the topics that are going to be in EXT History,will you be able to recommend them to me.

Thanks in advace,Raven.
i dunno if anyone can tell you how much you're gonna enjoy a topic except for you..like we did convict women, and we had a brilliant teacher and a lot of ppl in my class found it really interesting, but i hated it coz i've been sick to death of studying australians & women since about yr 9...so australians + women = not good...i think all the topics have interesting elements and if you approach any of them in the right way and/or you love history then you should enjoy the subject..

sif not 99

i wish i did 4 unit english instead of 3 unit history, sure the course was alright but the scaling is absolutely crap. If u go by last year u need at least 47/50 to make it worth your while doing it. I would do 4 unit english because it is externally marked and it scales really well, not like ext history where UAC scales it down heaps unless u get unbelievably high

SPX

I'm in Y11 too going on to 12. I got an average of 97% over the whole year. I am going to do EXT History because it will be great for me because I love it, are doin interesting topics and have probably the best History department in the state in my opinion.
For you make sure you love the subject, work harder than you did in Y11 as 78% must be improved by at least 10%. And the scaling is good, trust me...if you get above 80 you will get scaled plenty...OH SHIT, why am I encouraging you...more competition?

NO DON'T DO IT!!!

sif not 99

well u mighta got 97% average or whatever but that doesnt count for much since u tried to rock me and didnt even read my post properly!!!! sure it gets scaled up heaps by the BoS ppl but I said that UAC scale it down heaps not the BoS....

get with the program noob

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys,i agree that i need to lift my mark up but the highest mark was 87/100.So i am pretty happy.
SO ANYWAY THE TOPIC THAT WE ARE DOING IN MY SCHOOL IS "JESUS AS POLITICAL FIGURE".Do you know anything about this topic?

Thanks Super Best Friends!!!!!

elfgal

i did 4u english & ext history. and i almost did art too.....but yeah, the annoying this about ext is that you do the chunkus major project, which is a crapload of work (in my opinion it will take as much time as you have - whether you start in t4 yr 11 or you write the essay the morning it's due like i did you'll take all the time you've got left to finish it). and then after that you still have to do the fucking exam. 4u tends to be easier to get done (all you need is a flash of inspiration - i wrote most of mine in a day) and there's less editing if you do something creative. and you get a whole unit out of the way before the hsc.

SPX

Um, what's the difference betweent the BOS people and the UAC people...so it gets scaled twice or something...wheres your evidence and why don't you take a look at the scaling part on the website which shows EXT History is the 19th highest scaled subject which is very high! So there you go NOOB!

And that topic sucks in my opinion. I don't believe that...hey I thought we get to choose our own area to do a project on.?

sif not 99

my evidence is commonsense, everybody knows that the board of studies scales your mark first (hence it is the 19th highest scaled subject) which I might add for an extension subject isnt that impressive, and then to calculate the UAI UAC take the mark and then scale it back to a mean of 50.

Get your facts straight you little puncy year 11, why dont you learn something you retard, and of course you get to choose what area you do your project on.....shit your gunna fail hard if you dont even know these BASIC things

SPX

Hah...look at you for god sake. Your going psycho over how much you get scaled for History. "Puncy Y11" um..yeah sure what ever satisfies you. It must be the HSC that has been getting you so stressed so I'm not going to get angry. Only a person who is getting low marks in History would feel trouble that you will not get scaled or whatever. So it seems your the one thats going to fail, mate, why would I fail hard if I don't know how much we get scaled? it's like, if I work hard and I'm getting these 90 something marks then I am set so go back to your study and relax dude...your gettin all jumpy!

sif not 99

hmm yeah school estimated my UAI as being in excess of 98 and im currently sitting on 48/50 for my ext assessment, considering its a selective school not too bad i reckon, so yes I am going to fail thnx bro

to get 99 I need 48/50 AT LEAST, thats absurdly high, get the lazseeker and see how much its scaled back by UAC

SPX

If you hate the scaling and are saying it is a shit subject as you will only score high if you score high...?....why are you doing it? You get scaled more if you get a lower mark and that is a fact. So go and change your signature because if you didn't have an ego you wouldn't be acting all sarcastic and saying oh ohohooh I have an average of 98% and I need to get 48/50 to get 99. For one thing go and look at the statistics for Modern History Ext on the Board of Studies website and see that almost 50% of students score above 90 so it isn't hard to score high in the subject and then after that just be quiet.

sif not 99

uve missed the whole point of what I have been saying and the fact that you have resonates with meaning as to the amount of intelligence that you possess. Read my posts I have been saying all the long it is UAC when they calculate the UAI that's when it gets scaled down, not the Board of Studies, the scaling is mad if you look at what the Board of Studies does to the subject but take a look at what UAC does to it when they calculate your UAI, it gets hit absurdley hard unless u get right at the top. Look at the lazseeker, type in some marks, then you will understand how it gets scaled back by UAC

SPX

Alright then, I just checked it. You seem to be right if that is correct. That is soooooo slack though, we work our arse off then we don't get a appropriate scaling. I mean Modern History got scaled tones while History Ext. got scaled 45%. Well I'm still gonna try to score high though...sorry bout the misunderstanding.

jklm

k, back to the original question.

my advice is start the topic and do it for a term. See what u think of it and then decide at the beginning of next year. Keep in mind that the subject is completely different to any other course ull do this year, particularly history (ancient/modern)

u don't have the normal - this is what u need to know ... stuff, its all based on what u can learn from essays and stuff, not textbook work.

we did JFK and it was really good. it didn't bog the modern kids down who were doing his assassination coz the topic didnt focus on this. personaly, i wuldnt want to do the Jesus one, but that's really up to ur school and whether ur prepared to go along with them

for ur major work, it is a lot of work so make sure u choose a topic ur really interested - mine was whether the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima was necessary. if u do something u enjoy u wnt mind doing the work into it.

ok, this is getting long, but my major advice is to start the course, see what u think after a term and then decide. the subject didn't actually make sense to anyone in our course untill wed gotten into our major works, so give it some time

:) :apig: :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)