Can employers do background checks? (1 Viewer)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Epiphany said:
Okay I am not talking about a resume. I'm saying, if you choose to omit a past occupation is there a way employers can find out. I think the ATO response answered my question, thanks!
If you are going for a job where the employer would care enough the least of your concerns would be them calling your previous employers, think more along the lines of Private Investigators. Unless you put it down on the resume then they wouldn't care anyway, of course having a 5 year gap between jobs looks pretty bad so most people would put them in anyway. Employers can choose not to say anything about your performance but they are not allowed to say most negative things or comment on you personally in case they get sued by you after you found out ;)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Xayma said:
iambored: Theoretically wouldn't they be able to do it through the ATO. Since the business puts the tax in for you?
i guess so
LeftrightOut said:
Your resume would list your prior workplaces.
not if i don't list them, in which case they wouldn't be able to do a background check on me

as LRO said, i doubt they will care

T

timbk2

Yeah employers can do background checks.

I recently went through a bunch of graduate applications and the recruitment agency that handles the process, not only does your reference checking but also your background/police checks, to see if you have a criminal record.

They dont have to tell you either.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
An employer can only legally check your employment history based on the information they give you.

You DO have to consent to a police check/security clearance though this may be done simply by applying for a job which requires one as the advertisement carries this information about the job.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
im not sure, but i heard news about employers and unis having a new system to check, so employers can check up students academic results and/or actually graduated and/or enrolled in a uni course, because to check if its authentic and that the students are not bluffing they got a HD average or got a MBA or something... :/

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
I had to do a police check for both my jobs, you have to sign a form declaring that its okay that its carried out, and in one case they asked you to admit to any offences BEFORE the police check on a form so that they could tick off against it.

I think its a legal requirement for some places to carry out the police check on empolyees because of privacy laws etc.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
ah i get your issue - are you like me? i got fired from my first job and thus i delibretely omit it from my resume now in case they decide to call and get a reference :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)