Camera Help. (1 Viewer)

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Hey hey,
well i'm about to purchase a digi cam, been looking around for a fair bit. The kodak dx6440 looks awesome. But one thing that kinda threw me off it was that it comes with a crv3 one-use lithuim battery. Whats the deal? you have to keep buying new ones for it?
Or is it possible to buy rechargable batteries for the camera that won't die out after a few shots?

Cheers,

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Yes i read it, did you?
Does it answer all my questions?

And Huu's camera is different to the one im thinking of getting, i didn't see a post with someone owning a dx6440.

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
How much would rechargable batteries + charger cost and where from?
And since the camera is a kodak can you use other brands say rechargeable engergizer AA batteries or would kodak be better?

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'm here to save the day.
Originally posted by CasaNovo
The kodak dx6440 looks awesome.
great choice...i have exactly the same 'design' - just a lower model... mine is only 3.1MP but yours would be 4MP - no difference really, i just dont use all the MP's for huge photos (unless i plan on storing them) - the brushed metal is very sleek too... i might add

and did you just call me "Huu" instead of Huy? :chainsaw:

lol just kidding buddy
But one thing that kinda threw me off it was that it comes with a crv3 one-use lithuim battery. Whats the deal? you have to keep buying new ones for it?
yep, when you purchase any kodak camera, you will get the CRV-3 battery for free, which lasts for quite a while believe it or not. it looks like two AA batteries stuck together (that's basically what it is).

what's the deal with it?
it's free! and comes in the retail packaging/box

retails for approximately $30-34 by my last count, so it's very expensive if you're going to keep replacing them (after it dies out, since it is the "use once, throw away" type of batteries, once they drain, there's no recharging them - chuck em out)
Or is it possible to buy rechargable batteries for the camera that won't die out after a few shots?
luckily for you, i read the entire hardcopy (printed) manual and the online manual which also comes on the CD (downloadable pdf from www.kodak.com.au).
How much would rechargable batteries + charger cost and where from?
this is the golden rule:
DO NOT USE NiCd batteries!!!
that's all i can say to you.

You can buy rechargeable batteries as long as they are nickel metal hydrides (NiMH).

i bought 8 NiMH's all up and it cost me $60 - which is cheap in my opinion. go to dick smith or tandy and you can pick up a packet of 4xAA NiMH 1800mAh (milliamp hrs) and a charger.

it should cost about:

4x NiMH 1800mAh = $25-27
Charger = ~$30-70

the charger (make sure it is compatible with NiMH batteries... most new chargers are, so they will work with both NiCd (nickel cadmium) and also NiMH (metal hydrides).

rapid chargers will charge a battery from flat to about 80% in approx 3 hours.

a full (0 to 100%) charge usually takes 4 hours.

however, rapid chargers are about $70 or so (the sony ones are expensive, but they come with 2 free NiMH batteries)

i bought myself a "normal" battery recharger for $20, so i spent about $100 all up:

2 packets of 4xAA NiMH batteries
1 charger

i also went to the kodak store and bought some kodak gear (camera bag/case), for about $10-15.
...different to the one im thinking of getting, i didn't see a post with someone owning a dx6440.
correct, i own a 3.1MP kodak dx4330 - almost a year old, retailed for $700

you could get the batteries and charger from almost any electronic shop:

dick smith
tandy
harvey norman, etc
And since the camera is a kodak can you use other brands say rechargeable engergizer AA batteries or would kodak be better?
Batteries are batteries... what is most important is the number of milliamp hours the batteries are rated for.

kodak is just the brand, you can buy kodak equipment if you want, but you'll be paying a premium on top for the reputation, etc.

when the batteries are in your camera, you wont be noticing how fancy the word "kodak" is labelled -- you just want the camera to work, and the batteries to be replaced as soon as they die out/drain.

you can use other brands, definately.

im using "radioshack" (they are green) batteries, but you can also use "digitor" (they would be orange) NiMH 1800 mAh rechargeable batteries.

make sure you get 1800mAh OR if you can find some higher ones, get those.

but if you cant (and i dont see why you couldnt), you can settle with:

1600 or 1700mAh

the higher, the better (lasts longer, more milliamp hours :)))

1 mAh = 1 milliamp device operating for 1 hour (good ol prelim physics)

so in summary,

kodak batteries is guaranteed to work with kodak cameras (of course), but you dont have to use them... save yourself some money and buy radioshack or any other brand, as long as the milliamp hours are high (i suggest 1800 mAh) and you have a decent charger (normal or rapid), then you're set.

just make sure you buy some spare batteries and have some fully charged in your pockets when you go out/take pictures, because with the LCD and flash, you can eat up a lot of battery power/juice

g'luck matey :)

one more thing,

BUY SOME EXTERNAL MEMORY!

you'll be wanting:

64, 128 or a good chunk of 256MB MMC or SD cards :)

the 256MB ones are pricy, but well worth it for the cost per MB and storage space (quicktime movies too! audio/video recording).

64MB will be decent, plus the internal memory which would give you about 80MB all up.

i suggest anywhere between 128MB and 256MB MMC/SD cards though (the two types, MMC and SD are identical but the SD cards have a 'lock' on the side... just a security measure, both weigh about 2 grams and are the size of a postage stamp! :)) because the internal memory wont hold that many pictures if you're going camera crazy/trigger-happy on the first day :)

Last edited:

fatmuscle

HSC
totally agree with huy's post about batteries!!!

that's one of the advantages of the Cybershots, rechargable AA batteries. Very Convenient, none of this special battery for camera crap

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Oh sorry Huy,
i'm used to typing Huu since that's my friends name. Soz agian!

Yeh i'm planning for a 64mb card, not enough $$ for any other.

Well you sure know your stuff.
And thanks for your help. Really appreciate it mate.

Winston

HSC
Yes i read it, did you?
Does it answer all my questions?

And Huu's camera is different to the one im thinking of getting, i didn't see a post with someone owning a dx6440.
you could post in the same thread instead of opening a new one

Huy

HSC
N/A
Oh sorry Huy,
i'm used to typing Huu since that's my friends name. Soz agian!
thats ok dude,
i was just kidding about the chainsaw heheh ;)
Yeh i'm planning for a 64mb card, not enough $$ for any other.
oh alright, yeah. my first 64MB MMC was a kodak brand... cost me $120 for 64MB (last year)

now you can buy 64MB MMC cards for about $60-70 or so (havent checked prices, sorry).

about 2 weeks ago i bought my 256MB MMC...and I definately did not want to purchase a kodak branded MMC card from harvey norman (like i did before, the 64MB card) - they cost an arm and a leg.

so i bought a "TEC"
looks exactly the same,
same dimensions, weight,

it just has a different sticker on the top
(it's no big deal, you never see the card anyway, unless you take it out of the camera).
thanks! ;)

sure not a problem, glad to help you out.
:)

Jeo

"essay style responses only!" - Huy (when he becomes mod of IPT)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Jeo
"essay style responses only!" - Huy (when he becomes mod of IPT)
That's not going to happen Jeo (Mod) :)

(Jeo sounds weird to me, reminds me of... "geology" or something. Jesh was cooler LOL...my 2 cents (not worth much)) :)

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Yeh Huy, memory cards are around $1 per mb from what i've seen, don't think i'll be getting a kodak card then.

I was looking at the mju 400, but it's limited to 40secs recording time and the xD cards are pretty expensive. But other than that kick ass camera, looks good!

Mine will be better!
:cool:

Huy

HSC
N/A
64MB stores about 5 minutes recording time.

128 would be about 9 minutes.
256 is (and I know this to be definate) 16-17 minutes.

They are expensive though... the cards :)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Yeh Huy, memory cards are around $1 per mb from what i've seen, don't think i'll be getting a kodak card then.

I was looking at the mju 400, but it's limited to 40secs recording time and the xD cards are pretty expensive. But other than that kick ass camera, looks good!

Mine will be better!
:cool:

i bought mine overseas :D :p.... its pretty standard the memory cards [xd]
arent they aroun 100 fr 128 mb?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)