Cambridge/Oxford Law (1 Viewer)

ncoul

HSC
I attend a city school and i feel the urge to escape Sydney. I may be taking it to the extreme, but i'm purely curious. I understand i'm in year 11 and it will require a high ATAR, but i've heard of people doing it, going to Cambridge and Oxford and studying. My only worry is that if, by some stretch of the imagination I do make it over there to study law, will i be able to practice in Australia or any other country? I'm not sure, but wouldn't the laws, methods and systems i learn of in Cambridge be redundant in Australia?

If people have noticed on this forum, i'm greatly capricious, one minute USyd, then ANU, just often intrigued. If anyone has info on Cambridge or can answer any of my questions, please do. :thrust:

Thanks, Nick

hayabusaboston

HSC
I attend a city school and i feel the urge to escape Sydney. I may be taking it to the extreme, but i'm purely curious. I understand i'm in year 11 and it will require a high ATAR, but i've heard of people doing it, going to Cambridge and Oxford and studying. My only worry is that if, by some stretch of the imagination I do make it over there to study law, will i be able to practice in Australia or any other country? I'm not sure, but wouldn't the laws, methods and systems i learn of in Cambridge be redundant in Australia?

If people have noticed on this forum, i'm greatly capricious, one minute USyd, then ANU, just often intrigued. If anyone has info on Cambridge or can answer any of my questions, please do. :thrust:

Thanks, Nick
if i remeber rightly, there are a limited amount of court systems, maybe just two, so even if you go to a country which uses a different law system, you can do a course at uni there that focuses on your system. Ah yes! i remember now. I think the australian system is adversarial, so you can go to cambridge and study adversarial law, even though england has judicial law. i think its judicial, might also be adversarial actually

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You mean the adversarial (common) and inquisitorial (civil) legal system?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not too sure if hayabusaboston is correct. In Australia you have to do college of law and 75 days of work experience before practicing as a solicitor.

ncoul

HSC
Yer, adversarial is Australia, America and England and Inquisitorial is in some parts of Europe. I think the distinction is innocent until proven guilty and guilty until proven innocent, and other differences of course. But regardless, i feel that there would be some major differences in legal practices.

acemusic415

HSC
Our legal system is quite similar to Britain. After all, the greatest majority of our legal principles are derivative from the UK. On to the point, if you studied in the UK, I don't think it would be any disadvantage to you when wanting to practice law, when you return to Australia. So long as you finish the College of Law, then there shouldnt be any problems. You might be need to update yourself with some current legislation.

ncoul

HSC
Anyone know for certain? Thanks for the input guys.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. I'm pretty sure from what I've read in my law textbook the British legal system is adversarial, except for Scotland.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Prestige comes to my mind.
Yes I suspected so.

Most people would first do their undergraduate here, and then study a masters or a Ph.D in Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard.
If you study hard enough and have good reason, you might also be lucky enough to become a Rhodes scholar.

X

xeuyrawp

If you study hard enough and have good reason, you might also be lucky enough to become a Rhodes scholar.
I assume everybody realises (you mention postgrad...), but you can't get a Rhodes Scholarship (or most Oxford scholarships as an international student) for a first undergrad degree.

Going back to doing undergrad Oxbridge: I've said this so many times in so many threads, but I honestly think that going to an international university straight out of high school for anything but specific reasons (family incredibly rich; want to advance language; family moving, etc etc) is not a good idea.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Don't forget to be a Rhodes Scholar you have to do well not only in academics but in other areas of leadership and community service. You have to have an honours degree with 1st or upper 2nd class pass and be under 25 years of age. Only 9 are chosen from Australia each year.

ncoul

HSC
Ok, thanks everyone, I think i've decided to do an undergraduate course here then later do my PHD abroad. Thanks heaps for the input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)