Calls to move Australia Day (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Australian of Year Dodson wants a new day

AUSTRALIAN of the Year Mick Dodson has begun his reign by calling for Australia Day to be moved from January 26 because indigenous Australians see it as the day their "world came crashing down".

In comments that made it clear Professor Dodson will use his position to pursue issues such as the date of Australia Day, the merits of the Northern Territory intervention and compensation for the Stolen Generations, the lawyer and academic said most indigenous people still regarded January 26 as "Invasion Day".

"To many indigenous Australians, in fact most indigenous Australians, it really reflects the day in which our world came crashing down," Professor Dodson said outside Parliament House yesterday.

"I'm sensitive to that, I understand that. Many of our people call it Invasion Day, but I think Australia is mature enough now to have a conversation about that, and let's get on with it, like we usually do."

But Professor Dodson's national conversation looked set to take place without the participation of the Rudd Government, with a spokeswoman for Kevin Rudd immediately ruling out any change to the date of Australia Day. [...]

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
No the day should not be moved and I don't think it is appropriate for someone who outrightly argues this to accept the Australa Day Honour.

I see it similar to Krudd becomming PM and then saying how terrible the citizens of Australia are.

But maybe I'm being a bit dramatic...

rasengan90

HSC
Changing the national day to suit ~1% of the population? No. Just no.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Changing the national day to suit ~1% of the population? No. Just no.
The original occupants and custodians of this land?
Uh, yeah.

I'm with exphate though. Changing the date isnt going to change whats happened. History remains whether you shift the rememberance date or you don't.

esstown

HSC
Too right, whatever the date Australia Day is or becomes, it will always signify the day settlers came to this land and created the new Australia.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
In my books they deserve no more special treatment than the hundreds of other ethnic groups which inhabit Australia. The past is the past.
Why the hell not? Not to preach basic year 9 history, but their ties to the land go far beyond simply that this is their nation of birth. Its nots good enough to say "well its the past doesnt matter", because it does and will continue to matter to them.
I said nothing about special treatment, just recognition of their idenity as a peoples, which is deeply entwined in the land.

The different between the Indigenous peoples and immigrants is simple; This land is theres, and has been for over 40 000 years. They shouldnt be seen as simply "another ethnic group", which isnt to say the other ethnic groups arent as important or valuable so please dont jump on that bandwagon.

rasengan90

HSC
Why the hell not? Not to preach basic year 9 history, but their ties to the land go far beyond simply that this is their nation of birth. Its nots good enough to say "well its the past doesnt matter", because it does and will continue to matter to them.
I said nothing about special treatment, just recognition of their idenity as a peoples, which is deeply entwined in the land.

The different between the Indigenous peoples and immigrants is simple; This land is theres, and has been for over 40 000 years. They shouldnt be seen as simply "another ethnic group", which isnt to say the other ethnic groups arent as important or valuable so please dont jump on that bandwagon.
This land is theirs? I am pretty sure they have no concept of land ownership in their culture. I'll stop trolling now, I promise.
My original point which I did not bother to express was that the national day should not be changed to May 27th as that date really only hold significance to Aboriginals, I am all for some sort of commemoration of the day, but it should not be any stretch of the imagination by the national day.
I personally believe that the most appropriate day for Australia day would be Federation day, but because of it's unfortunate timing January 26th is the next best thing.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
This land is theirs? I am pretty sure they have no concept of land ownership in their culture. I'll stop trolling now, I promise.
My original point which I did not bother to express was that the national day should not be changed to May 27th as that date really only hold significance to Aboriginals, I am all for some sort of commemoration of the day, but it should not be any stretch of the imagination by the national day.
I personally believe that the most appropriate day for Australia day would be Federation day, but because of it's unfortunate timing January 26th is the next best thing.
i probably didnt word it right. its not that they feel they "own" their land, its that their spiritual connection to the land is a defining feature of their culture and we took that away from them.

i hate you well articulated and otherwise intelligent trollers. so deceptive. need moar typos.

anyway, i dont agree that the date should be changed for my afformentioned reasons but i do think we should at least have more public reflection as to the more sombre side of the date. i in no way think we should stop being proud of our nation as it is, but i do feel their needs to be more open acceptance of reasons and validity of the indigenous communities attitude towards january 26th.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
i probably didnt word it right. its not that they feel they "own" their land, its that their spiritual connection to the land is a defining feature of their culture and we took that away from them.

i hate you well articulated and otherwise intelligent trollers. so deceptive. need moar typos.

anyway, i dont agree that the date should be changed for my afformentioned reasons but i do think we should at least have more public reflection as to the more sombre side of the date. i in no way think we should stop being proud of our nation as it is, but i do feel their needs to be more open acceptance of reasons and validity of the indigenous communities attitude towards january 26th.
dreamtime and rainbow serpeant and all that other bullshit

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Aboriginals were nomads who raped and pillaged a place, then moved on.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
dreamtime and rainbow serpeant and all that other bullshit
yeah, bullshit just like a big man in the sky creating the earths complexeties with in a week and a chick giving birth to a the son of this cloud man totally coming back to death after performing magic tricks. all of this can be found in an awesome little book.
getmahpoint?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
yeah, bullshit just like a big man in the sky creating the earths complexeties with in a week and a chick giving birth to a the son of this cloud man totally coming back to death after performing magic tricks. all of this can be found in an awesome little book.
getmahpoint?
white people = believe in jesus.

Kyalzorz

HSC
Mayby if the aboriginal herritage/scripture lessons were held sometime other than their science classes we could get along?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
take it up with your school? thats poor planning, not reverse racism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)