Calling on Macquarie and UTS Law and Commerce/Business students to reply :D! (1 Viewer)

J0liin

HSC
With university starting soon, I'm still stuck deciding between UTS business/law and Macquarie commerce/law. I've read many different things about both unis and never got a definitive answer. So rather than doing that, I thought just to ask current students about the pros and cons about their course, and hopefully this will aid in me weighing up my options.

Any opinion and information is appreciated! :smile:

Hatake88

HSC
obvs UTS: better street cred.
Disagreed. With all respect to uts, I was stuck in the same dilemma and chose macquarie over uts. My reasoning are as follows:

- Macquarie Uni is in the top 10 unis in Australia - it is ranked 9th after the Go8. It is also the best uni under 50 years old etc.

- Macquarie has a pretty respectable law school. It is the third oldest law school in NSW and its teaching is more theoretical based. This is good at least for me personally as I prefer their approach and it makes transferring to usyd relatively painless (as usyd is also more theory based and lots of the units can be credited).

- Macquarie just seems more like a uni. I went to both unis to walk around on info day and I really like how spread out/environmentally friendly the campus is where-else UTS is building after building.

- Macquarie has a better arts faculty than UTS. Since I know I am majoring in an arts subject, its better for me to go to MQ than UTS.

I know some people would look at the difference in ATAR between the two (98 for single law degree @ UTS vs 97 at MQ; 97 for double law degree @ UTS vs 96/95 @ MQ) and decide from that that UTS is better. However, do consider that external factors like the fact that UTS is located in the middle of the CBD (very convenient) affects demand (and hence ATAR requirements). An example illustrating this will be the fact that B. Business at UTS city campus is around 90 while B. Business at UTS Kuringai is only ~80.

That being said, UTS is still a very solid choice and you can't really go wrong.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Disagreed. With all respect to uts, I was stuck in the same dilemma and chose macquarie over uts. My reasoning are as follows:

- Macquarie Uni is in the top 10 unis in Australia - it is ranked 9th after the Go8. It is also the best uni under 50 years old etc.

- Macquarie has a pretty respectable law school. It is the third oldest law school in NSW and its teaching is more theoretical based. This is good at least for me personally as I prefer their approach and it makes transferring to usyd relatively painless (as usyd is also more theory based and lots of the units can be credited).

- Macquarie just seems more like a uni. I went to both unis to walk around on info day and I really like how spread out/environmentally friendly the campus is where-else UTS is building after building.

- Macquarie has a better arts faculty than UTS. Since I know I am majoring in an arts subject, its better for me to go to MQ than UTS.

I know some people would look at the difference in ATAR between the two (98 for single law degree @ UTS vs 97 at MQ; 97 for double law degree @ UTS vs 96/95 @ MQ) and decide from that that UTS is better. However, do consider that external factors like the fact that UTS is located in the middle of the CBD (very convenient) affects demand (and hence ATAR requirements). An example illustrating this will be the fact that B. Business at UTS city campus is around 90 while B. Business at UTS Kuringai is only ~80.

That being said, UTS is still a very solid choice and you can't really go wrong.
I struggle to see how this is a benefit?

Uni is a very personal choice, select the one which suits YOUR needs (convenience, preferred campus, friends etc) better. After all, macq and UTS will be viewed as fairly similar by employers, the difference between them is fairly minimal when you consider the differences between a G8 and non G8 uni and what an employer prefers.

er15

HSC
I did my first year of Business at UTS last year and to be honest, it wasn't too bad. But one thing that really makes me hate UTS is the layout. It's pretty convenient and such but I still hate the lack of green space and openness :(

Hatake88

HSC
No it's not - just hit 50 years old. UTS now tops the Australian list for that, also has almost another 25 years of eligibility on there.

http://www.uts.edu.au/about/faculty.../uts-ranks-high-among-young-and-international
MacQ turns 50 this year but last year and the year before it was ranked as #1.

http://globe.international.mq.edu.au/r/2013/06/macquarie-still-australias-top-modern-university/#.UvduyPmSy50

Btw, MacQ also has really good commerce - especially accounting.

@Drifting95 Like I said, it is personal preference and its easier to transfer to Usyd (best uni for law in NSW) as the academic advisors have already told me at least all the junior subjects are interchangeable.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
don't know much about law but how is being more theory based a good thing? Surely being more practical is beneficial?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
also to OP consider distance as well, which is easier to get to for you?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Location was one of the main reasons why I chose UTS Business/Law over MACQ Comm/Law.

(That's why I never considered ANU or MACQ for Comm/Law - location-wise, it was UTS/USYD/UNSW all the way)

MACQ's ranking VS UTS's ranking is nearly irrelevant imo as both unis are essentially non-Go8.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
don't know much about law but how is being more theory based a good thing? Surely being more practical is beneficial?
I'm guessing it's more to do with having students learn it properly before doing it so they don't fuck it up/have less of a chance to fuck it up. Even though I love how practical the learning process at UTS is, I have to admit it actually makes things a tonne harder to learn since you have to do it without having spent all that much time figuring out the theory behind it (this is just what I've experienced in Bus/Law).

humanitieslover

HSC
I actually was in this same position in terms of decision making! I was offered scholarships to both UTS and Macq (to do Combined Law) and despite Macq being more convenient for me in regards to location, I chose UTS :) I just loved the vibe of the uni and also the practical side of things. However, as you seem to prefer a theoretical style of teaching, then perhaps Macq is for you. My Dad is close friends with a Partner and Freehills and an Exec Partner at RPMG and when asking questions about this decision, they both looked favourably upon UTS students (in fact, they had quite a few UTS students working there, and a few Partners from UTS!). However, this was the opinion of only two people, and of course may be subjective. I'm sure whichever decision you make it will be the right one! Just go with whichever uni you prefer or feel that suits you! :)

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Yes practical is definitely beneficial. All universities have a good share of both. MQ/UTS market their courses as being more 'practical' (especially for business). Its about finding the right balance which most of these universities already have (or they wouldn't have produced 'successful' grads).

But you obviously need theory - its like going into an exam doing a 100 practice papers (thinking you got the answers right) while not learning the theory/concepts from your notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)