Calculators (1 Viewer)

fozzster22

HSC
Many of you would have taken macroeconomics 1102 today..

During the macro test there were lots of students who had their calculators confiscated because they weren't approved. It obviously sucked because as far as I know there was no warning that approved calculators would be required and it hasn't been that way in the past. there were a few questions where calculators would have saved a LOT of time, especially that cobb-douglas production question :/

Anyways, anyone know if it'll be a similar situation tomorrow in accounting? Might have to go in early tomorrow and get my calc approved or whatever, if that's even possible at this point..

runnable

HSC
Yeah I think UNSW should have some desk at the racecourse putting the stickers on. Or the supervisors just approve them on the spot, because it's that easy. It's really not worth disadvantaging students for.

fozzster22

HSC
Sorry, I don't understand how that's relevant. The point I made was that last semester approved calculators were not required. This semester they were. There was no warning of this, not in tutorials, not in email, nothing.

Yeah I think UNSW should have some desk at the racecourse putting the stickers on. Or the supervisors just approve them on the spot, because it's that easy. It's really not worth disadvantaging students for.
It was ridiculous. It would literally take 20 seconds to "train" an exam supervisor on how to identify an appropriate calculator. The sticker system makes little sense.

Oh well.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
actually fozzster, sunny is right. and there have been warnings that were even sent to student emails. they warned that in first semester they would not be as strict on approved calculators but in second semester, you would not be allowed to take them in.

i have been a unsw student since start of 2006, so don't give the bullshit of "we never had to get them approved before".

if you are class of 08 and this is your first year, live with it. grow some balls and take responsibility of your own education. if you are dumb enough not to get it approved, you are dumb enough to get it confiscated upon entering the exam room (and credit to those who took the time to get it approved).

proringz

HSC
actually fozzster, sunny is right. and there have been warnings that were even sent to student emails. they warned that in first semester they would not be as strict on approved calculators but in second semester, you would not be allowed to take them in.

i have been a unsw student since start of 2006, so don't give the bullshit of "we never had to get them approved before".

if you are class of 08 and this is your first year, live with it. grow some balls and take responsibility of your own education. if you are dumb enough not to get it approved, you are dumb enough to get it confiscated upon entering the exam room (and credit to those who took the time to get it approved).
Agreed, it's always been that way for every test where a calculator was allowed for me and I was well aware that we needed to get it approved.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Students are inherently lazy. A recent example was how I read some announcements on webct for my financial econometrics course and about only 20% of the people doing it filled out the CATEI (excluding me).

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
That's so sad, I was at upper tea and some guy behind was victimised that way. Approving on the spot is so easy.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
chewy, that isn't really even the point whether it can be done on the spot or not. they were too lazy to do it in semester time, and they risked going in with an unapproved calculator. it means that they get to do use the fingers and toes to calculate for all they wanted to do.

~::UAI::~

Life is Wonderful
HSC
LOL, i saw quite a few people who didn't get their calcu approved. feel sorry for them, mind u, its a accounting final... let this be a lesson to all.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I've never understood the difficulty (especially if you're a local student). Maybe things have changed since I did the HSC, but the most common Board approved calculators were the Casio fx82 or fx100, which you would probably take with you into uni anyway, and coincidentally they're approved calculators :)

I'm still using my old school fx100 from year 7 :)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
there's a list somewhere (google/myunsw it), all the models in that list are approved calculators.

then u gotta get your calculatrisse stickered by ur faculty.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
lol i had two calculators approved last sem (cause im paraniod lol), had them both in the exam and the guy next to me had to take his out. half felt like giving him my spare....but i didnt.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha yep its not an obligation to so a discretionary choice really.. =P

whoisurdaddy

HSC
lol i had two calculators approved last sem (cause im paraniod lol), had them both in the exam and the guy next to me had to take his out. half felt like giving him my spare....but i didnt.
why be mean for :p

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
lol same thing happened to me holly. Don't feel guilty, apparently you cant lend out calculators anyway.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
would you give him the spare if he was attractive?

leotao

HSC
We've been warned many times actually.....
Yes, it is a bit harsh, but students who were disadvantages can't shift all blame to the uni. It is your own responsibility to check emails, webCT and what not, to keep updated.

Afterall, they did send out another email saying you can take a supplementry exam or hand in a special consideration form and they will review your marks if they feel you deserve extra marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)