• Total voters

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
So, it's the HSC!!! Hooray! The question is:

What type of calculator do you use???
..........Graphics, or
..........Normal

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

- M A D D O G Z -

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I use the normal calculator.

I've been having nightmares about being in the HSC exam with a non-working calculator.. it's such a freaky dream. :(

HSC
man we were only told about the graphics calculator 4 weeks before school ended. i hear it's so much better but harder to use? i guess you'd have to get used to it.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah it can be complicated to work out (hence my using a normal calculator as well), but it can draw graphs, work out financial math problems for you, etc. It's definitely an advantage.

There's always the issue brought up about how you're supposed to write your working out if you solve a problem on the graphics calculator. I was told by a marker that you simply draw the screen with all the entered values and stuff, and you can get your marks that way.

Generally I prefer my old calculator though. I've had it since year 8 and I find it hard to part with it :)

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Well, i use the graphics only... It's such a MASSIVE help. Especially in the Linear Relationships topics (drawing graphs is SO much easier), and in the Financial Maths topics (calculates annuities and compund interest heaps easy)... It also gives you the function of an equation solver, so you can type in something like:
850=7x+30
and it will solve the equation for you and state X=??? (whatever the answer is)...
My teacher suggest that if you use a GFX calculator that you write "Using GFX Calc" at the top of your question, then write down the values as you see them on the screen... This is usually more than acceptable for the HSC.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.

- M A D D O G Z -

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Umm..l'm not in year 12, but my calculator is a SHARP, Advanced D.A.L (EL-531VH)

If that makes any sence...

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Sarah, do you know if it is a graphics calculator or not? Usually a graphics calculator is bigger than normal and you either have to purchase them from school, or go out and purchase them yourself... They also normally have a larger, squarer screen than a normal calculator.
- M A D D O G Z -

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I know what a graphics one is, it has liner equations odne for you etc. Mine would be normal then.

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Aight - awesome... Good luck for yrs 11 + 12....
- M A D D O G Z -

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
My teacher drilled the graphics calculator into us at the start of year 11. She was so obsessed with us knowing exactly how to use it. I think we spent more time learning how to use it, than actually doing work.

Maybe that's why we all stuffed up our Prelim final exam.

Still, I love it using the graphics....as much as I wouldn't want my teacher to know that. I take both calculators into my exams - and about 10 batteries as well.

I'm paranoid I know.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I'm one of the throng using a 'standard' calculator, without graphics. I'd say 'normal', but that could be interpreted as discrimnatory, for it implies the graphic calculator as 'other', and that's no fun.

moo/pokie

welli have to say that i use the standard calculator because i have no idea how to use the graphics...although i suck at drawing graphs...i think i will take my chances without the graphics calc.

Karissa

Did have a graphics

I started using the Graphics cal at the start of year 12, but 1 month ago, it got water in it so it dosnt work anymore. so now have to use a normal one. My maths teacher says that u should take in 2 of the some cal, so if it dosent work, u have a spear one. borrow one from a person in a younger year or a sis or brother
good luck every1
:rolleyes:

i_love_lucy

my skools sooo poor, we'd never even heard of graphics calculators until the last week of skool!! im just going to hope my trusty yr 7 calculator is enough!!
goodluck everyone!

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I want one of these nifty sounding calculators!!!!

I've never even heard of them before!
my school is extra-poor!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)