Cadetship or Double Degree? (1 Viewer)

kingmatthew

HSC
Hi Guys,

I recently got offered a Cadetship at a top firm (can't disclose).. Anyway, I want to do a Law/Bus degree at UTS, but then again I can't because of my Cadetship which limits me to a Commerce Degree majoring in Acc/Finance at either UNSW or Uts..

Idk what to do, what do you guys think?
feels.jpeg

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What type of career path are you looking at, at the moment?

esaitchkay

HSC
Congrats on the cadetship!

Why do you want to do law? Have you asked the firm whether they're flexible, at all, about it?
If it turns out that accounting wasn't what you were into, you could always do a J.D. (postgrad law) after the cadetship.

kingmatthew

HSC
Congrats on the cadetship!

Why do you want to do law? Have you asked the firm whether they're flexible, at all, about it?
If it turns out that accounting wasn't what you were into, you could always do a J.D. (postgrad law) after the cadetship.
Just to back up and add prestige to the degree really lol! Yep, they're fine with it! Oh really???

kingmatthew

HSC
Atm, definitely finance. Head start my career, then head into consulting :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I would recommend doing the cadetship as it gives you that foothold in the industry.

This is incredibly valuable when you're looking for work after uni (that is if you don't stay on with the firm).

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You're only in year 12 now and your views can change in the next year. You may end up loving your cadetship and have no regards and vice versa.

What i would recommend doing is enrolling into bus/law AND accepting the cadetship. For your 1st year, just complete your commerce subjects (and thus you would be at the same stage as all other cadets in single commerce). If you do decide to continue with law than pick it up 2nd year (this would follow the structure of an internal transfer to law) and drop the cadetship. The beauty of this is that you're still enrolled in the law degree, however if you do decide to continue the cadetship it is very easy to drop. On the other hand, if you end up quitting the cadetship good luck transferring into law unless you've maintained strong marks.

That is my opinion, others may disagree but its one way to go about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)