Cadbury goes fairtrade (1 Viewer)

fallingstar

HSC
Cadbury has announced today that by Easter 2010, their Dairy Milk chocolate will be Fair Trade Certified.

This is a big step for fair trade in Australia, and its great to see the issues of human justice associated with cocoa industry being addressed.

News

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Great news - until you are forced to pay 20% more. People, for better or worse, do not care about what ethical concerns came from their goods, as long as the quality is acceptable. They should have just set up a premium brand.

Tangent

HSC
Great news - until you are forced to pay 20% more. People, for better or worse, do not care about what ethical concerns came from their goods, as long as the quality is acceptable. They should have just set up a premium brand.
I think it is a small price to pay, only a selfish idiot would say "omg, the price has gone up, stupid pricks earning a fair wage now! I want cheaper chocolate"

Really, it makes a world of difference to the farmers

HSC
what an utterly awful generalisation.
I think it is a small price to pay, only a selfish idiot would say "omg, the price has gone up, stupid pricks earning a fair wage now! I want cheaper chocolate"

I agree. I mean, it certainly won't kill us to pay just a little more...and it doesn't even make a difference in the end, I mean they're living on so little, and in such awful conditions that it would be monstrous not to pay the extra. I think people *do* care, they just don't know what to do about it, because the problem seems so big, or they don't have enough knowledge about it.

Garygaz

HSC
I'd say the demographic of caring students who would pay extra for fairtrade chocolate wouldn't cross over that much into your average Australian with a mortgage.

Sprangler

HSC
I think this is an extremely exciting development in the Cadbury world and will be watching this very closely.

Lukybear

HSC

Id think youd be farily suprised about the amount of people out there that just dosent give a dam.

However that being said, this is certainly a triumph in human rights.

HSC
In the end, I think chocolate is popular enough that people will pay the extra.

aussie-boy

HSC
I put fairtrade into the same category as free range eggs and organic food... food is already too expensive in Australia, and higher prices for anything will quickly translate into lower sales IMO. The world needs people to suffer in order to sustain our comfortable lifestyles - unfortunate but true

fallingstar

HSC
I think people *do* care, they just don't know what to do about it, because the problem seems so big, or they don't have enough knowledge about it.
that's right. It's great now the general public does have a more easily accessible alternative

I put fairtrade into the same category as free range eggs and organic food... food is already too expensive in Australia, and higher prices for anything will quickly translate into lower sales IMO. The world needs people to suffer in order to sustain our comfortable lifestyles - unfortunate but true
not true.
fair trade should be given more priority over free range and organic products, because these are people's lives we're talking about

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
that's right. It's great now the general public does have a more easily accessible alternative

not true.
fair trade should be given more priority over free range and organic products, because these are people's lives we're talking about
fucking idealists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)