CA Program changes (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Improvements to the CA Program
Soon, we will be introducing some changes to the CA Program which will further contribute to the value and prestige of the Chartered Accountant designation.

Why are the changes being made?
The changes came about from discussions the ICAA held with some of our major stakeholders (employers, candidates and other representatives). During these discussions, it became clear that, to meet the challenges of today’s business environment and the needs of the profession, accountants needed a higher level of technical skill and expertise to make candidates ‘work ready’.

CA Program 2007 was developed to address these requirements.
Institute members are assured that their Chartered Accountant designation will continue to be a valuable asset and highly regarded in public practice, commerce and government. At the same time, new candidates will be offered a Program that has a rigour and consistency unmatched by any other postgraduate accounting program in Australia.

What are the changes?

The major changes include:

four specific technical modules

Modules will be offered over trimesters (three terms per year).

Entry requirements will be broadened to allow university graduates from non-accounting backgrounds to enrol.

Effective 2007, candidates will only need nine months of mentored work experience instead of 12 months to enter their first CA Program module.

Candidates may be eligible for exemptions into the Tax module.

-------------

anyone uni graduate can do the CA Program from 2007, you just have to do a aptitude test rather then a conversion course.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Does that mean to become a CA you don't need to have an accounting degree??? Cool ^.^

PS. Doesn't that make all those postgrad coursework Accountingdegrees all redundant?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I finish my degree halfway through 2006 at the earliest, so I'll probably have to do this new program, unless I end up doing the CPA instead :p (or neither to start with).

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Hey, my final year at uni is 2007, so I'll be treated under the new sysytem. Does this mean that we dont have to do the Business Law/ Taxation subjects for CA? Since the new req is an aptitude test?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
...and your uni as well. Some courses require you to complete a certain amount of subjects for an Accounting major, and hence, you might not have a choice.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well that's great, I have to start CA earlier now (9 mths instead of 12mths of a break from 'study') I'll fall under this program too I think...not sure

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It says minimum doesn't it? You can always wait longer than 9 months can't you? Unless you're forced to do it :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
jasee said:
It says minimum doesn't it? You can always wait longer than 9 months can't you? Unless you're forced to do it :p
Yeah I think EY forces you...

Far_Q

HSC
A further question, does most Accounting graduates normally choose to progress onto the CA/CPA programs or only the really capable students choose to?

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
Far_Q said:
A further question, does most Accounting graduates normally choose to progress onto the CA/CPA programs or only the really capable students choose to?
most would go onto CA and you dont need to be an incredible genius to do so (no offence to any CAs randomly out there) i think all you need to do is PASS your accounting courses and other required CA subjects with no pass concededs...

Speaking of which.. is it worth doing those 4 business law electives as options for commmerce coz u need em for the CA if theyre gonna change it to just be an exam? Id rather use em elsewhere...

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Sharpshooter said:
most would go onto CA and you dont need to be an incredible genius to do so (no offence to any CAs randomly out there) i think all you need to do is PASS your accounting courses and other required CA subjects with no pass concededs...

Speaking of which.. is it worth doing those 4 business law electives as options for commmerce coz u need em for the CA if theyre gonna change it to just be an exam? Id rather use em elsewhere...
You are a fool.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Sharpshooter said:

u might be refering to CPA, but then again im not in a position to correct anyone :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
What absolution really means is that you can't just get your CA by passing your uni subjects. By doing those subjects, you are eligible to START the CA Program.

The CA is a postgraduate diploma course studied over 2 years while working fulltime (means you gotta study at night or weekends). I've spoken to CA students at Ernst & Young funtions, and friends that have siblings doing it, and its bloody tough - to quote "uni is nothing compared to this" - I guess it stems from the fact that you're working fulltime, and the pass mark for CA units is 75%.

About those 4 biz law electives - do them, you'll learn so much from them
They're the most interesting subjects you'll do in your degree (I've done all of them)

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
lol i actually did know that guess i said elsewhere to give a dif impression but thanks for that, said in a much more reasonable manner.

klh

HSC
is anybody else an expert about the changes? it says that if you fail the aptitude test you can do a conversion subject/course, does anybody knwo anything aobut that? like what they are?
ill be going to the unis course coordinater but if you can provide this info it would be better...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)