buying new laptop? (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
i want to buy a new laptop, for uni...and possibly playing games...plus i want a cheap laptop less then $1100...lol

is there a laptop like that...

how do u know if i laptop is good? powerful? worth the moneY?

thanks

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
for $1100, there are limited options, but since your main priorities are for uni work, then you wouldnt need high specs...a centrino or core duo should be sufficient.
http://www.laptop.com.au/product/toshibam200.shtml
i recommended that pc to someone else, but for $1199, that should be enough to satisfy your needs

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/notebooks_better?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs
theres also a dell that would be a good consideration, so have a look at those two

Collin

HSC
N/A
You could certainly get a decent $1100 laptop for productivity, but it certainly wouldn't be 'powerful'. You get what you pay for.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
wrxsti said:
i want to buy a new laptop, for uni...and possibly playing games...plus i want a cheap laptop less then $1100...lol

is there a laptop like that...

how do u know if i laptop is good? powerful? worth the moneY?

thanks
Acer have a few quality laptops for around that price, as well as Compaq.

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
a lil above ur price range, but 1200 will get u the compaq presario V3230 which i have been lookin at to replace my agin compaq M2045AP that would have fit your requests back in the day

but i would also go to officeworks and look at the V3231 which is the same laptop bundled with an extra battery

the AMD Turion X2 processor will give this little wonder a enough power to run almost anythn u throw at it, within reason, and it has a dedicated graphics card, better than the onboard crap that most cheap lappys have

lf i was in the market, this would be the machine i would be lookin at

drunkontea

HSC
I need a new laptop too. Jst 1 questions. Is a [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X200M w/ 128MB dynamically allocated RAM' good for playing games?
[/FONT]

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
It's a top of the line "integrated" GPU. See, there's a difference between "Integrated", and "dedicated" GPU's. In relation to the X200M, you've about the best "integrated" GPU there is, while if you were to compare it to a dedicated card, it's really basic. Honestly, the X200M card was not designed for gaming so no. This doesn't necessarily mean you won't enjoy games, but the games will not be “brilliant” in relation to the overall graphics.

drunkontea

HSC
s-AINT said:
It's a top of the line "integrated" GPU. See, there's a difference between "Integrated", and "dedicated" GPU's. In relation to the X200M, you've about the best "integrated" GPU there is, while if you were to compare it to a dedicated card, it's really basic. Honestly, the X200M card was not designed for gaming so no. This doesn't necessarily mean you won't enjoy games, but the games will not be “brilliant” in relation to the overall graphics.
oh ok thanx. Another question. If you were to compare the x200M to an older NVIDIA card like the 6150. Which will be better?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
drunkontea said:
oh ok thanx. Another question. If you were to compare the x200M to an older NVIDIA card like the 6150. Which will be better?
Take a quick read here:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3056&guide=Graphics+Card+Guide+2006

It will better your understanding in regards to graphics cards, and you will be much more confident when making decisions if purchasing one.

Btw this thread will answer your question:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=68669&page=4

drunkontea

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)