buying from overseas (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Would you recommend buying a car from overseas and having it shipped to NSW? How much cheaper would it be and how much would extra fee's cost (not including car cost). for example a new 370z costs around $65K in nsw but in USA it's half the price at around $33K. any1 know how the process of shipping cars works and all the fee's you have to pay?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
I read somewhere that this is not a good idea for some of the following reasons
  • car might have been stolen
  • not covered buy the same warranties/guarantees that the ACL offers
  • there is a lot of red tape when it comes to importing
  • fees are pretty huge

IMO; wouldn't recommend it

astroman

HSC
my friend bought a evo x from japan and total costs were around $40k, saved at least $15k, i don't think it is dodgy if you buy direct from the manufacturer

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
my friend bought a evo x from japan and total costs were around $40k, saved at least $15k, i don't think it is dodgy if you buy direct from the manufacturer
definitely not if you buy it straight from the manufacturer; but there is a lot of stuff happening with Japanese gangs like the Yakuza selling stolen cars and what not.

astroman

HSC
definitely not if you buy it straight from the manufacturer; but there is a lot of stuff happening with Japanese gangs like the Yakuza selling stolen cars and what not.
lol do they actually do that...

astroman

HSC
is there some sort of online calculator where you can calculate importing fees for cars??

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
New or second hand? It's not that straightforward especially if the car is available domestically.

The exception to this is you can buy some of the more exclusive track-oriented cars (e.g. WRC-prepped STIs, rally-spec Evo X, Mugen Civic RR, etc) but they aren't able to be registered for street use without significant compliance costs.

ps. I'm not an expert on this but I did look into it before I just bought an AUDM Evo X MR.

astroman

HSC
New or second hand? It's not that straightforward especially if the car is available domestically.

The exception to this is you can buy some of the more exclusive track-oriented cars (e.g. WRC-prepped STIs, rally-spec Evo X, Mugen Civic RR, etc) but they aren't able to be registered for street use without significant compliance costs.

ps. I'm not an expert on this but I did look into it before I just bought an AUDM Evo X MR.
it was new and had legally registered for use in oz, even allowed to install custom hks parts...

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Its pretty costly to import a car, but even more expensive if u wanna car from US because u have to pay from the normal import price but as the price for conversion from left to right.

There is also there are dealerships in Sydney who specialized in doing this. You have to call them, ask what u want and they would a similar match car for you and u pay total price while they take care the rest for u.

And you might wanna check this out.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_p6qUSYJE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)