Business@UTS vs. Commerce@UNSW (1 Viewer)

sHin

I wanted to study Commerce@UNSW next year but with my current perforance through the HSC, I think I'll fall short by a few marks. The next best options are Commerce@USYD or Business@UTS. I remember seeing some stats Minai posted a longtime ago about graduate prospects for business/commerce such as salary, employment etc. and UTS came a close second behind UNSW. I was just wondering if someone could tell me a little about Business@UTS, the Haymarket campus, uni lifestyle etc.

How does it compare to Commerce@UNSW?

sHin

Question for Business@UTS students; how many days a week are you at uni?

Ch00

HSC
N/A
The actual number of days you will be at uni will vary with when the subject you need to do or want to do is offered. In terms of hours, probably something along the lines of 12-14 hours per week. Usually you can organise your subjects so you have two days off a week.

I had a similar dilemma with UNSW and UTS. At UTS the core subjects are a bit more general: for example, at UNSW you do a separate subject for micro/macro-economics whereas at UTS there is a more general hybrid subject and in lieu thereof you do subjects like marketing and management as part of your core subjects. UTS supposedly has a more practical aspect to its teaching but I have not done any classes at UNSW to make any informed comparison.

Basically, I think once you get to the majors stage they are going to be fairly similar. If you know what you want to major in you can always undertake a more detailed comparison. I don't really think the miniscule differences in graduate prospects will make too much difference so long as you do well wherever you choose to go and have a few extracurriculars etc in there.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
sHin said:
Question for Business@UTS students; how many days a week are you at uni?
Around 3 days a week for most 1st year business students. A bit of timetable shuffling can obtain this result

sHin

Another question. Does anyone drive to UTS? Is there parking at the Haymarket Campus?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
sHin said:
Another question. Does anyone drive to UTS? Is there parking at the Haymarket Campus?
there is apollo parking, there entertainment carpark for 10, market city carpark for 9 or broadway shopping carpark for free if within 3 hrs

sHin

theone123 said:
there is apollo parking, there entertainment carpark for 10, market city carpark for 9 or broadway shopping carpark for free if within 3 hrs
How much is parking usually, at those various places?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Broadway shopping central carpark is $8.50 for students from 6am-12am (which is when the carpark is open). I usually park there. I think there is a public carpark opposite the dodgy Union carpark for $10 for students as well.

PG5

HSC
3 hours free parking at Broadway shopping centre. You can just keep moving your car in and out if you want. Gets tiring and annoying though. Wouldn't suggest to do it on a daily schedule.

sHin

Well this all sounds good. Seems like car park spaces shouldn't be a problem at UTS.

Another question. Is building 5 (business & law) as miserable as the tower building? I've read that it's refurbished federation style buildings.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
sHin said:
I wanted to study Commerce@UNSW next year but with my current perforance through the HSC, I think I'll fall short by a few marks. The next best options are Commerce@USYD or Business@UTS. I remember seeing some stats Minai posted a longtime ago about graduate prospects for business/commerce such as salary, employment etc. and UTS came a close second behind UNSW. I was just wondering if someone could tell me a little about Business@UTS, the Haymarket campus, uni lifestyle etc.

How does it compare to Commerce@UNSW?
UTS Bus grads have a higher success rate in the job industry and UTS grads earn more than UNSW grad.

S

Shuter

theone123 said:
UTS Bus grads have a higher success rate in the job industry and UTS grads earn more than UNSW grad.
Stats/links to back this up?

I knew it was better than uSyd, but I thoght UNSW was slightly higher.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Shuter said:
Stats/links to back this up?

I knew it was better than uSyd, but I thoght UNSW was slightly higher.
check the graduate survey thing i posted up in the university section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)