Business Studies HSC (1 Viewer)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, as long as you're still able to discuss things in-depth you'll still be fine. You'd just be reinforcing your points more.

What structure do you guys use for the report and essay?

report:
1. exec summary
2. syllabus dot pot point for each recommendation/strategy + why its an issue for the business + how this strategy would overcome the problem
3. Repeat step 2 for all issues/strategies required
4. summary of recommendations

essay:
1. write lots of shit + give case studies

Anyone got a better setup? Wouldmakeloveto/10 for some good structures <3
I'm told to do report structure for both s3 and s4.

Examine

same
HSC
I've received a few PMs the past few days about giving more papers and case study notes.

Marketing case study notes (this is a bit more tame than my operations ones, I've mainly focused on McDonalds, L'Oreal and Qantas, as well as latching on a failed minor case study I was making for Apple Inc.)

http://www.mediafire.com/view/mifhrpz3dea3gg5/Marketing_Case_Study.pdf

Also my favourite trials papers from 2012:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/u785x6p6r2vk63d/Trials_-_Barker_College.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/8wq6l6oekghe80o/Trials_-_St_Ignatius_College.pdf

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I've received a few PMs the past few days about giving more papers and case study notes.

Marketing case study notes (this is a bit more tame than my operations ones, I've mainly focused on McDonalds, L'Oreal and Qantas, as well as latching on a failed minor case study I was making for Apple Inc.)

Should we do s4 as a report too?

monsta4lyfe

HSC
For s.4 (the essay/report section), I use the businesses Sigma Six (toys aimed at young children), Maudlin (an Indonesian clothing brand) and Sôl Austan (a Norwegian business that sells patches of grass). Heard of none of these? That's because none of them actually exist!

I can't be the only person that makes up their own businesses in s.4. Seriously, how is the marker supposed to know every business that exists in the world?

Anyway that's what I've done for all my assessments and I've gotten decent marks, close to full marks if my syllabus memory was consistent.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
For s.4 (the essay/report section), I use the businesses Sigma Six (toys aimed at young children), Maudlin (an Indonesian clothing brand) and Sôl Austan (a Norwegian business that sells patches of grass). Heard of none of these? That's because none of them actually exist!

I can't be the only person that makes up their own businesses in s.4. Seriously, how is the marker supposed to know every business that exists in the world?

Anyway that's what I've done for all my assessments and I've gotten decent marks, close to full marks if my syllabus memory was consistent.
hahahahahha

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

That bitch called google that sells you out.

Examine

same
HSC

Honestly as long as it sounds realistic it is fair game.

rednellav

HSC

Thanks brah.

Any specific way of writing the essay?

Like, going:

- Main syllabus dotpoint and what sub-keypoints it includes (For example Promotion - advertising, personal selling, public relations, sales promotion) then talk about each sub-keypoint in depth and give a case study for them?

Not sure what way to tackle the essay for the HSC.

Examine

same
HSC
Thanks brah.

Any specific way of writing the essay?

Like, going:

- Main syllabus dotpoint and what sub-keypoints it includes (For example Promotion - advertising, personal selling, public relations, sales promotion) then talk about each sub-keypoint in depth and give a case study for them?

Not sure what way to tackle the essay for the HSC.
I usually do one para per dotpoint or sub-keypoint if I feel it is significant enough.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
After getting smashed by eco today and being depreso all arvo, i'm finally motivated to study for business.

All nighter checking in

zhusalmz

HSC
paragraphs on each dot point integrated with case studies. (including subdot points or w/e they're called)

Confound

HSC
Mi case studies that got me 98% in trials: Qantas, Google, Apple, CCA
Backup case study: Confound LTD (hypothetical business)

Mi topics focusing on: Operations (70% confident, I just miss tiny details which are vital to band 6), Marketing (90% confident).

Mi set-up:

Reports: (always relating back to scenario)
> Executive summary
> List of topic discussion
> Body paragraphs (5-10 minutes maximum spent on each paragraph)
> Summary of recommendation
+ Visual displays (Graphs, arrows, underlying in red etc...)

Case study essays:
Intro: Opening statement + discussion topics. Will be very short: "E.g. The marketing strategies of blah blah will prove prominent in achieving the business marketing objectives of blah blah if considered with meticulous detail and diligence. The case studies given to enhance the understand of this concept is blah blah blah. (In case I decide to add another case study as I go on, I make sure I leave enough room for at least 2 backup case studies to add to intro)
Body: 5-10 minutes max spent on each body paragraph
Conclusion: In conclusion, blah blah blah

(I use more effort in report (due to always relating back to scenario) than in case study essay)

Exam timing:

Multiple choice: 10-15 mins max (I like to speed through so I don't doubt myself by thinking too long about an ambiguous question if one appears)
Short answers: 50 mins max
Report: 50 mins max
Case study essay: 55 mins max
= 2hrs and 50mins?
+ 10 mins checking Multiple choice
= 3hrs

cool story

Extras:
Watch used to keep time: G-SHOCK DW6900 colour: Black (2 minutes fast)
Pens taken into exam: 3 Black PaperMate "Kilometrico" pens + 1 Red PaperMate "Kilometrico" pen
Time entering exam room: 5 minutes before exam starts
Breakfast: Black tea + toast
Water bottle brand: ????
Music prior to exam: Classical music and nothing else but classical (No scientific benefits, just a ritual)

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Mi case studies that got me 98% in trials: Qantas, Google, Apple, CCA
Backup case study: Confound LTD (hypothetical business)

Mi topics focusing on: Operations (70% confident, I just miss tiny details which are vital to band 6), Marketing (90% confident).

Mi set-up:

Reports: (always relating back to scenario)
> Executive summary
> List of topic discussion
> Body paragraphs (5-10 minutes maximum spent on each paragraph)
> Summary of recommendation
+ Visual displays (Graphs, arrows, underlying in red etc...)

Case study essays:
Intro: Opening statement + discussion topics. Will be very short: "E.g. The marketing strategies of blah blah will prove prominent in achieving the business marketing objectives of blah blah if considered with meticulous detail and diligence. The case studies given to enhance the understand of this concept is blah blah blah. (In case I decide to add another case study as I go on, I make sure I leave enough room for at least 2 backup case studies to add to intro)
Body: 5-10 minutes max spent on each body paragraph
Conclusion: In conclusion, blah blah blah

Exam timing:

Multiple choice: 10-15 mins max (I like to speed through so I don't doubt myself by thinking too long about an ambiguous question if one appears)
Short answers: 50 mins max
Report: 50 mins max
Case study essay: 55 mins max
= 2hrs and 50mins?
+ 10 mins checking Multiple choice
= 3hrs

cool story

Extras:
Watch used to keep time: G-SHOCK DW6900 colour: Black (2 minutes fast)
Pens taken into exam: 3 Black PaperMate "Kilometrico" pens + 1 Red PaperMate "Kilometrico" pen
Time entering exam room: 5 minutes before exam starts
Breakfast: Black tea + toast
Water bottle brand: ????
Do we really need visual displays for the high marks?

Thanks also.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Thanks also.
The real question is, do we need black tea to perform best or is chai tea just as good?

Na seriously, good tips man. Aiming for a state rank? Sounds like you know your shit.

JFX

HSC

Thanks also.
I have checked the Business studies high range response textbook. Haven't seen any visual displays, so I'm guessing it's not necessary to gain higher marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)